What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lycoming sump question

KitfoxJoe

I an actively looking for a 0-360 for my 7 and have a question. What is the pros and cons of a vertical vers horizontal(forward) sump? When it comes to installing the cowling and doing the plumbing is one sump easier then the other? Thanks Joe

Last edited:
Horizontal implies fitting the infamous "snorkel" :eek:

This glass fibre construction, if the tales on here are to be believed, has been specially shaped to interfere simultaneously with the Alternator, Starter motor and cowling - invariably requiring "surgery".

Personally, ours was not too bad, but maybe we were lucky?

Joe,

I spent considerable time looking at both Vertical and Horizontal sumps.

To start the Horizontal sump is more expensive. The performance advantages are its positioning makes ram air easier to build in.

If you are not married to the idea a a smooth lower cowl there are alternatives to the serpentine duct from VAN's. Rod Bowers is one example of a Ram-Air duct system that incorporates an inlet just below the spinner.

The vertical sump is easier to install. Using the scooped lower cowl will accommodate either carburated or injected induction with very little difference in hardware.

For me it came down to: What is my mission and how much time and money do I want to spend chasing horsepower? I decided to save some time and money and use the vertical intake. It has worked very well.

Back