What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview software updates

edward7048

Well Known Member
has anyone had trouble downloading skyview software through the
USB port supplied with the skyview wiring harness. I have to use
the USB port on the back of the skyview display in my RV-12.

USB Port

I have used both however the last update I was not able
to load with out breaking down the update into the smaller packets.

I have used both however the last update I was not able
to load with out breaking down the update into the smaller packets.

Same here. Updated using the package and had no map data. Had to go back and redo that one separately.

I've read in the past about difficulty using the pigtail USB and having to connect to the USB ports on the back of SV directly - not a good deal since you'd have to remove the instrument cover panel for each Firmware or Nav database update (or install your own pigtail from the back of Skyview.)

FWIW, I've never had that problem (knock wood), including the latest 5.1 Firmware update. I've done 5 Firmware updates and multiple Nav Data and Obstruction data updates using the built in Stein wiring harness USB port.

Not liking Van's USB port location underneath the panel, I skipped that place, and installed mine on the LH front panel where it's much more convenient. Besides the Firmware updates, and the Nav and Obstruction updates, you'll want easy access to that port for loading Flight Plans you can create at home, and also - now - for Data dumps, using the new 5.1 Data Acquisition and Storage capability.

i-n5D72Wm-L.jpg

i-LKtwKmL-L.jpg

Bob Bogash
N737G
MLG SB almost done

I've read in the past about difficulty using the pigtail USB and having to connect to the USB ports on the back of SV directly - not a good deal since you'd have to remove the instrument cover panel for each Firmware or Nav database update (or install your own pigtail from the back of Skyview.)

If someone finds the need to use the USB port on the back of the screen they can remove teh 6 screws and pull teh screen fwd (if the SV-1000 harness is installed as inteneded, there is a service loop that makes this very easy).

Saw in the dynon forums that the USB stick they issued (the white and silver ones with the logo) were of cheaper quality and have since switched to a namebrand flash drive. Kingston I believe. Try switching USB sticks

My standard port is inconsistent. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, and with any memory stick. Found this while still building. Stein sent me another plug, same thing. I verified the wires are proper. I got a short usb extension cable, plugged it into the back of the Skyview, then put the other female end through a little hole cut into the map box side. I use tat for the updates by just opening the map box door. Works 100% of the time! I advise putting a small USB drive on your airplane key ring.

I use the Dynon thumbdrive - I have a bunch of others including name brands, but the Dynon has worked fine so far - PLUS - it has that nice Dynon logo. Makes me feel "Official."

Bob Bogash
N737G

skyview software updates

I thank every one for their information. I like the idea of a USB
extension,and I found one which is 1.5 feet long and has a male
connector on one end and a panel mount female on the other end.
It is from c2g get connected part # 28062, it should mount where
the female connector that came with wiring harness mounts.

USB Drive size?

Preparing to update my Skyview for the first time, I noticed in the Installation guide that a 4 Gig USB flash drive is the recommended USB flash drive. I intended to use a 32 Gig drive and I wonder if it will work or if the Skyview has got a kind of address limitation regarding the Flash Drive? Has anyone used a different size stick?

Shame on you Bob, you copied mine! I was not comfortable having it hidden, and possibly busting it off with my knee if I forgot it was there.I have updated mine with the Dynon stick, no problems.
5ma7wx.jpg
[/IMG]

FWIW, I've never had that problem (knock wood), including the latest 5.1 Firmware update. I've done 5 Firmware updates and multiple Nav Data and Obstruction data updates using the built in Stein wiring harness USB port.

Not liking Van's USB port location underneath the panel, I skipped that place, and installed mine on the LH front panel where it's much more convenient. Besides the Firmware updates, and the Nav and Obstruction updates, you'll want easy access to that port for loading Flight Plans you can create at home, and also - now - for Data dumps, using the new 5.1 Data Acquisition and Storage capability.

i-n5D72Wm-L.jpg

i-LKtwKmL-L.jpg

Bob Bogash
N737G
MLG SB almost done

Last edited:
Shame on you Bob, you copied mine! I was not comfortable having it hidden, and possibly busting it off with my knee if I forgot it was there.I have updated mine with the Dynon stick, no problems

Bob is shameless, Don. Besides being shameless, as the theme song from MASH goes - "Suicide is Painless."

Putting it under the shelf is, well, -----dumb - but you never heard me say that......

Bob Bogash
N737G
Flown for an hour today.

USB

I have the same issues. Works sometimes. I have a Glasair with Skyview and the USB extension that came with it. No issues there.

Back