What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RPM too low

bgl

Its seems one hurdle after another. My RPM tops is 4300 It should red line at 4800. I think I will have to change the pitch of the prop. Has any one else had to changed from where they tell us to set it at.

Hi Bayne - -

If you have an RV-12 - the static RPM should be close to 4950. Flying, you should be over 5500 for sure at WOT.

John Bender

Its seems one hurdle after another. My RPM tops is 4300 It should red line at 4800. I think I will have to change the pitch of the prop. Has any one else had to changed from where they tell us to set it at.

Bayne,
A little more detail would help.

"My RPM tops is 4300"
Do you mean static RPM on the ground with the brakes locked?

If so, then your prop is not adjusted where the documentation tells you to set it.
You need to get out the PAP (production acceptance procedure) document and follow the check list steps for preparing the airplane for first flight. This will help you properly set the propeller pitch.

BGL,

When you post a question, the answers you get will be directly proportional to the detailed information you provide. For example:

Is this an RV-12 with the Rotax engine?
Are you using the kit-supplied standard prop?
Did you set the prop within the range specified?
Does the engine run smoothly, or is it rough running?
Does it run the same on both ignitions?
Have you double checked the throttle linkages?
Have you balanced the carburetors?

Give us more data to go on, otherwise we are just guessing. Hope this helps.

John

Same problem here ...finally fixed!

Check out my last post on my blog at jerryg150rv12.blogspot.com (CLICK HERE). Then be sure to check out this service bulletin recall. (click here). I hope this solves you rpm problem. I would top out at 5000 rpms now 5500+.
Good Luck ...

Set prop pitch

I changed my prop pitch from #5 as the plan called for. I changed it to #3 as the information guide from the prop set up calls for a rotex 912
My static max RPM on setting was 4300 moved the setting to #3 it then went
to 5380 They call for 4870 to 4930 I think I should turn it closer to 3 1/2

I changed my prop pitch from #5 as the plan called for. I changed it to #3 as the information guide from the prop set up calls for a rotex 912
My static max RPM on setting was 4300 moved the setting to #3 it then went
to 5380 They call for 4870 to 4930 I think I should turn it closer to 3 1/2

Yes, you need to set it for static RPM of around 4900 wot.

Back