What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building the RV-12, Things I have Learned

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I thought I would share a few thoughts about tools to build the RV 12. Besides all the conventional knowledge, here are some ideas. Keep in mind, I am far from done, this is just things I have discovered to date:
1. Rivet Squeezers. I would highly recommend a pneumatic squeezer and at least two hand jobs. That is what I am using, and it keeps me from switching the dies around and wasting so much time.
2. Air Drills. Again, two are better than one. I would recommend two of the Harbor freight jobs. Lots of lost time chucking and rechucking bits and tools. They don't cost very much. I have a high dollar Sioux job, would have been far better off with two of the el cheapo ones. You need an air valve to control it better too.
3. Air manifold: Again, Harbor freight sells a manifold, get yourself about four shorter hoses, and leave all the air tools connected all the time. Chucking and unchucking takes time, this way you only have to grab a tool and use it.
4. Deburring. Tried several ways, by far the best is one of the little battery screwdrivers from Sears, $14.99 with a year warranty. Light weight, powerful, long lasting charges. You then need the little adapter and deburring bit from one of the aircraft tool people. (Torsten talked me into this one, best advice I ever got!)

and of course....

(drum roll please)...the number one thing we've all learned....
1) READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! followed closely by the second thing
2) READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AGAIN! if they still don't make sense...
2a) get one of the above-mentioned beers
2b) walk away and rest, then....
3) Repeat Number 1...still no luck?
4) Look through the FAQs and search these forums.
5) Enjoy the experience, camaraderie, and your accomplishments.

Best of luck,
Dave
(still learning, getting close to the finish Kit on #121)

I forgot the fridge, absolute first necessity. I find that Corona is the preferred choice of RV builders.

In addition to a well stocked fridge, some other observations. I had always been a top of the line name brand tool freak, had got rid of most of my good tools. I bought the Harbor Freight bottom of their line belt sander, and their band saw. Thise have served me quite well in the process, lots of use on them without a problem.

The only problem I've had with HF belt sanders is the bearings. Once I found the proper replacement and stocked up, they serve me well.
I keep 2 sanders side by side; one with a course grit belt for shaping and the other with a fine belt for finishing.

Here is what I've learned Building a RV12
1) RV12 builders are spoiled rotten with the completess of the kit. (build something else and you'll see)
2) RV12 is the easiest kit i have built
3) RV12 is the most comprehensive and detailed plans
4) A group of 10 builders takes twice the manhours but have 10 times the fun.
5) Good friends can be made around a RV12 build.

Rudi

Better share your source with me Mel, mine has been doing some howling when starting up, have not looked to see if it needs oil or replacement bearing. I have that very ulta cheapie one shown below, has had about three lifetimes of use already:
333dfuh.jpg
[/IMG]

You are correct on all counts there. I truly believe if more people actually could see just how easy and quick it is to build, there would be far more builders. I tell people who marvel at my apparent skill and speed, "this kit was designed to be built by a bored housewife with pliers and a hammer." I am not too far off there either. As an example, I am a 73 year old retiree, rated by the VA at 220% combat disabled, probably in the beginning stages of alzheimers, and just look at my log to see how fast it goes.

Here is what I've learned Building a RV12
1) RV12 builders are spoiled rotten with the completess of the kit. (build something else and you'll see)
2) RV12 is the easiest kit i have built
3) RV12 is the most comprehensive and detailed plans
4) A group of 10 builders takes twice the manhours but have 10 times the fun.
5) Good friends can be made around a RV12 build.

Rudi

... "I am a 73 year old retiree, rated by the VA at 220% combat disabled, probably in the beginning stages of alzheimers, and just look at my log to see how fast it goes."

You left something out Don ........
You also have a really good sense of humor.
Priceless.

Oh yeah, one more thing ......... and thanks for your military service to us.
Even more priceless.

1- You will ALWAYS take more time than you thought when you started.
2- When you think you are almost done, you are about 1/2 way.

Well thanks, I try to laugh so I don't cry. Besides, the VA gives me pills for that.

You left something out Don ........
You also have a really good sense of humor.
Priceless.

Oh yeah, one more thing ......... and thanks for your military service to us.
Even more priceless.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I agree READING and UNDERSTANDING plans is the straight way to achieve success :). I noticed that rivet squeezer (the black, heavy one bought from Aircraft Spruce for around 300 bucks) is not quite perfect for small places. The arms are to heavy gauge for thin space.

Anyhow i am slowly going on with the V stab :)

I find that on those little bitty rivets, I like the control of the hand squeezer better, and it is not so heavy, easy to squeeze them, the big boy does easy work of the big rivets though.

I find that on those little bitty rivets, I like the control of the hand squeezer better, and it is not so heavy, easy to squeeze them, the big boy does easy work of the big rivets though.

No need for a Pneumatic if you get the Cleaveland "Main Squeeze", it has a mechanical Cam that gives leverage advantage when he need it most. It makes squeezing AD4 rivets easy. "30% Lighter Weight, 65% Less Effort Required!"
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SCH22

I see they also have some Pneumatic and Hydro Pheumatic options, but they are expensive in comparison.
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/departments.asp?dept=51

So save yourself 300 bucks and go the Main Squeeze road instead, there are not enough solid rivets on the RV12 to justify $300 in my humble opinion.

The Main Squeeze is the best hand squeezer I have seen. It could never take the place of a pneumatic squeezer. Don't forget all those nut plates. This tool is quick!!! It also makes squeezing a two-handed affair instead of three. Just my opinion.
I have used a 14 volt lithium-ion drill for everything. It is pretty small and has lots of torque and NO HOSE.

I tell people who marvel at my apparent skill and speed, "this kit was designed to be built by a bored housewife with pliers and a hammer." I am not too far off there either. As an example, I am a 73 year old retiree, rated by the VA at 220% combat disabled...QUOTE]

Well looks like I will be in the market for an LSA kit now! The VA came thru with my service disability rating and I am now going to allow the medical to lapse. Currently snagged a deal on a Kolb Firestar KXP to keep me happy til I can get the funds for the emp kit on an RV-12. I look forward to building something!

Your points are well taken Rudi. Perhaps I should have added that you need pneumatic if you are old, arthritic, with carpal tunnel problems. I don't look at mine as an expense either, only a temporary investment, I can resell it when I am done. For MY build, it was a valuable asset, however I have not seen or tried the main squeeze, which has had lots of positive comments from those that have one.

No need for a Pneumatic if you get the Cleaveland "Main Squeeze", it has a mechanical Cam that gives leverage advantage when he need it most. It makes squeezing AD4 rivets easy. "30% Lighter Weight, 65% Less Effort Required!"
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SCH22

I see they also have some Pneumatic and Hydro Pheumatic options, but they are expensive in comparison.
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/departments.asp?dept=51

So save yourself 300 bucks and go the Main Squeeze road instead, there are not enough solid rivets on the RV12 to justify $300 in my humble opinion.

You are correct on all counts there. I truly believe if more people actually could see just how easy and quick it is to build, there would be far more builders.

My problem isn't the difficulty, thoroughness of the plans, completeness of the kit, or the time to build; my problem is coming up with $60K ;)

Last edited:
My problem isn't the difficulty, thoroughness of the plans, completeness of the kit, or the time to build; my problem is coming up with $60K ;)

Rob, the advantage of building your own plane is you dont need 60K to start. Just get the first kit.You will solve the problems as you proceed. You will find the tools, the space, the materials because your motivation will go up. If you do find it gets to much for you and your family you can always sell it and remember you had the fun of building the tail kit. But I bet you wont have to sell it, you will find a way!

Julian RV 120316

Your points are well taken Rudi. Perhaps I should have added that you need pneumatic if you are old, arthritic, with carpal tunnel problems. I don't look at mine as an expense either, only a temporary investment, I can resell it when I am done. For MY build, it was a valuable asset, however I have not seen or tried the main squeeze, which has had lots of positive comments from those that have one.

Don your an inspiration to a lot of builders...Rudi

Back