Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv72004 View Post
Kinda makes me wonder what will become of Glasairs the fatefull day 100LL ceases to exist.
As I understand it, if they do get rid of 100LL, Avgas will become about 94 octane unleaded. If that does occur, it will not have any ethanol, and will be the ideal solution for us Rotax 912 operators. Steve
Old 02-08-2010, 09:12 PM

Default G100UL

If this doesn't win the avgas replacement race:

http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/A..._201973-1.html
Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDS View Post
This is a quote from one of my partners, a Pulsar builder/pilot and an engineer with 20+ years working on aerospace composites:

"You do not want to use a glass tank bare. Depending on the particular resin system used, some may have less resistance to ethanol dissolution and may allow the glass and resin to gradually breakdown. You have to coat the inside wetted surface with a blocker like Jeffco 9700, an epoxy based sealer that is immune to ethanol. I have a glass tank on my Pulsar which has used only mogas with 10% ethanol for over 5 years and absolutely no breakdown of glass because of the Jeffco."
Jeffco tank sealer is good stuff. the lancairs use this for tank sealant. It is easy to tell a tank that doesn't have it, eventually it will end up weeping pretty bad.

I would use it for any composite fuel tank, doesn't matter if it is vinylester or epoxy
Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 AM

Default Derakane is the ticket

Derakane vinylester resins, which is what the glasairs (411 type) use is very resistant to gas and the additives. Derakane 470 is used to make the underground fuel storage tanks so it would seem to make a good sealer coating on the inside of an existing tank, or to make an aux tank for the baggage compartment.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:35 AM

Default NO auto fuel in fiberglass tanks

Naturally, how fuel interacts with epoxy depends on the epoxy chemistry, and the fuel chemisty. It was well established in the canard community that auto fuel in the RAF and Hexel Safe-T epoxies, did cause softening of the epoxy resin over time.

However, Aviation fuel does NOT cause any issues with fiberglass/epoxy integrity (using the above epoxys).
Building Log: www.mykitlog.com/n539rv
APRS Tracking: aprs.fi/n539rv
2017 Paid