What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

door strut

Bob Ed

i live in corpus christi,texas. it is very windy here. my door strut from vans cannot handle the wind. i need to get a beefier strut . any ideas? robert

Digging out of my email archives, I received this from Wayne Edgerton many months ago:

I ordered the struts from JWF Technologies, 6820 Fairfield Business Drive, Fairfield, OH 45014. Phone 513-769-9611. www.JWFtechnologies.com The struts are Stabilus, Lift-O-Mat part number 2218LP and cost was $78 each. They didn’t have them in stock, they come from Germany, and they said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to get them in.

Door struts

As Bob said in his post I did change the struts on my plane. The ones I put on, which Bob posted which ones they are, are really excellent struts and well worth the cost and wait. When I put the door up the strut will pull it up gradually once past a point and they don't let the door slam down like they did with the original struts.

I would highly recommend these struts as a replacement. They are much stronger.

group buy?

Digging out of my email archives, I received this from Wayne Edgerton many months ago:

I ordered the struts from JWF Technologies, 6820 Fairfield Business Drive, Fairfield, OH 45014. Phone 513-769-9611. www.JWFtechnologies.com The struts are Stabilus, Lift-O-Mat part number 2218LP and cost was $78 each. They didn?t have them in stock, they come from Germany, and they said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to get them in.

Maybe possibility of getting a few orders together to make it worth their while and enjoying a savings?

Anybody willing to do some homework on this?

Maybe possibility of getting a few orders together to make it worth their while and enjoying a savings?

Anybody willing to do some homework on this?

I just sent an inquiry off to JWF asking about quantity discounts. I'll post what they respond with.

Door struts

I am in the market for two if that helps secure a better price. Why doesn't vans carry them?:)

I am in the market for two if that helps secure a better price. Why doesn't vans carry them?:)

Van's supplies a strut that works just great...unless a bunch of upholstery stuff is added to the door, increasing its weight by a significant amount. If you have done that, then an aftermarket source for a higher newton value strut will have to be used.

'Over-center' type device for RV-10 doors?

Anyone made one for holding the struts extended/doors locked open for mx and gusty days? Similar to some landing gear down locks used in mx.

Seems like some PVC or aluminum tubing cut lengthwise with velcro wrapped around it to attach it to the struts and a red remove before flight streamer might be useful .

Here's the info:

1-9 units = 78.77 + shipping
10-20 units = 73.10 + shipping
20+ units = 66.80 + shipping

These are not a stocked unit and takes 4-6 weeks to arrive from Germany.

I'm not sure a group buy makes sense, unless we can convince JWF to drop ship to individuals and get more than 10 folks that want the deal. At the moment, it's ship to a single location, then repackage and ship again.

Van's supplies a strut that works just great...unless a bunch of upholstery stuff is added to the door, increasing its weight by a significant amount. If you have done that, then an aftermarket source for a higher newton value strut will have to be used.

That's an interesting claim, but in my experience it's not true.

My doors came in at 14.5 lbs each, including wx seal, exterior paint, interior paint (no fabric), and the stock door handle/latch hardware (that's the final weight of the door, without the hinges). I had problems with the stock Van's struts allowing both doors to close (from a fully opened position) with little or no provocation. The pax strut was particularly bad, allowing the pax door to slam shut from a fully opened position while the plane was sitting inside the hangar with the hangar doors closed (no breeze, no rocking of the plane, just a too-weak strut) .

I ordered two heavy duty struts from Van's at $109 each. They worked great (beware of potential backorder delays).

Here's the info:

1-9 units = 78.77 + shipping
10-20 units = 73.10 + shipping
20+ units = 66.80 + shipping

These are not a stocked unit and takes 4-6 weeks to arrive from Germany.

I'm not sure a group buy makes sense, unless we can convince JWF to drop ship to individuals and get more than 10 folks that want the deal. At the moment, it's ship to a single location, then repackage and ship again.

Bob,
The 20+ units is the only one that makes sense with a single drop ship, repackaging, and ship again. The big advantage is that the manufacturer is motivated by a large order, as opposed to one or two dribbling in.

I propose that you or I get commitments for at least 20 units, then place the order. It gets shipped to the other person who repackages and ships. One to place the order & pay, one to handle the merchandise. OK?

John

One to place the order & pay, one to handle the merchandise. OK?

John

John,

You are welcomed to proceed. I'm not able to coordinate this at the moment.

Fyi... Van's now sell these too. Their price is $109. I would contact the vendor again to get current pricing.

bob

My doors droop (on the airplane :eek:) a little too and the inside is only painted with Zolatone. I can see Bob's reluctance, it's a major undertaking to collect the funds, place then distribute the order. Not all suppliers are savy to group purchases like Hooker Harness and other company's who have done such a deal. I'm not so sure a beefy strut is the answer to weather concerns, the brackets that the strut attaches to which is pop riveted to the door present more of an issue for failure than the strut IMHO. I plan to order the heavier strut when mine won't get it up anymore, even at a single purchase you can still beat the "Dutch" discount at Van's...anyone want to buy a never opened RV-10 secondary door latch kit? I'll hook ya up...CHEAP!! ;)

Bob,
The 20+ units is the only one that makes sense with a single drop ship, repackaging, and ship again. The big advantage is that the manufacturer is motivated by a large order, as opposed to one or two dribbling in.

I propose that you or I get commitments for at least 20 units, then place the order. It gets shipped to the other person who repackages and ships. One to place the order & pay, one to handle the merchandise. OK?

John

John, you're blue, your avatar is AVATAR....freakin me out!!

Back