What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finish Kit glitches

jamescone

Well Known Member
I sent Gus at Van's a note and here is his response:

On 29 Mar 2009 at 23:08, James Cone wrote:

To: "'Gus Funnell'" <[email protected]>
Subject: RV-12 glitches
Date sent: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 23:08:50 -0700

> Gus,
>
>
>
> Page 31-14 fig 2: The trim bundle has five wires (wht/grn, wht/bkk,
> wht/org wht/red and white) The plans say both pin 30 or 31 get white
> wires, but there is only one white wire. The other one is white/red.
> Which goes where?
>

See attached
3/25/09

Dear RV-12 builder,

Ref: DWG 11-08

The WH-P30 5-conductor trim wire with your kit may have wires colored differently than as specified by the manual.

The colors are the same as those specified in the manual, except that instead of one of the two white wires, there is a white/red wire. This white/red wire can be connected as one of the white wires in the manual. It does not matter to which white wire on the servo it is attached.

Vans

>
>
> The optional 25 pin D-sub connector has four extra wires in the
> bundle.
> There is a white wire and a black wire that each have female connector
> pins on them. There are two other wires that do not have pins on
> them.
> One is
> orange and the other is wht/blu. What should we do with these four
> wires?
>
I believe they are for future expansion, but I will check with the Designer. Do nothing with them for now.

>
>
> Page 31-14 step 2: There are no pins on the wires. I had female pins
> so I put them on and put them in the 9 pin D-sub connector per the
> plans. Most builders will not have a supply of pins nor the tool to crimp them.
> The pins could be soldered, but that is not the best way to install them,
> and again, most builders do not have the experience to do that
> properly.
>
See attached - we can offer several options for pin replacement.
3/24/09

Dear RV-12 builder,

This letter is to advise you that your WH-RV-12 TUNNEL harness (has the 37pin D-sub connector) may be missing three pins.

You can solder or crimp them (if you have the appropriate tool) onto the harness wires connected to pins 8, 13 and 34, as shown on the drawing. Twisting the wires is not necessary. Four ES SA-1018 male pins have been supplied with this letter.

If you cannot solder or crimp the pins, you will need to remove the harness from the fuselage (if installed), and return it to Vans so we can install the pins for you.
Alternatively, contact Van?s and we can send you the three wires with pins attached. You can then extract the original wire pins from the D-Sub connector and replace them, using the tool in BAG 2789.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Vans
>
>
> Some of the pins on the wire bundles were over crimped and the wires
> broke off at the pin. These were mostly male pins. I had six wires
> break off at the pin. I had extra pins and so I was able to install
> new pins with a proper crimp. I think that the pins were crimped with
> a high density pin crimper rather than the standard crimper tool,
> which caused the pins to be over crimped.
>
>
Which harness(es) was this on? Some are made here, some by SteinAir.
We don't have a hi density crimper

>
> Any I idea when I will get the rest of the items missing from the kit?

When we have them, probably next week sometime

> Also, what is going to be done about the autopilot wire bundle that is
> too short? I did not install this wire, hoping that a new bundle was
> going to be supplied. If an extension of the bundle is going to be
> sent, I will go ahead and install this bundle and then I can install
> the tie downs in the center section.

You will get a new 85" piece - when we have some wire here. Needless to say, everything we had was cut to 70".

Gus

THANKS JIM

I now realize I have several pins missing. My trim wire did not have pins on either end. I do not have pins on the 3 wires for the connector in the tunnel I believe. I think there is a black and a white wire that terminated just under the dash. Nothing on the end of them either. Not sure what they are for. I guess I will have to wait to see what they decide to send out for corrections.

Is the crimping too for the pins expensive ?

Thanks again,

John Bender

I have them also

Those are connected. Also three for the antenna I believe in the forward tunnel. These just stop just below the dash. Maybe they should have stayed in the upper dash area, but I did not see anything about connecting them to anything. Might have missed it. Lots of wiring issues so far for me. Main thing is the pins missing here and there.

John Bender

Those are connected. Also three for the antenna I believe in the forward tunnel. These just stop just below the dash. Maybe they should have stayed in the upper dash area, but I did not see anything about connecting them to anything. Might have missed it. Lots of wiring issues so far for me. Main thing is the pins missing here and there.

John Bender

They are for a 9 pin D-sub connector that is used to update the Dynon 180. You need female pins. The tool to install them is not too expensive. Get one with a four pin crimp, not the ones that look like pliers. Action electronics has one for $39. Go to http://www.action-electronics.com/pdf/03-062aepdf.

Alied has the pins that you want. http://www.alliedelec.com/ Get machined pins, not the cheap fold over kind. Here is what you need. Male and female pins.

Tyco Electronics
MIL-SPEC. SOCKET, M39029/63-368

Mfr's Part#: 205090-1
Allied Stk#: 512-4649
View Datasheet PDF 346308 $0.59
Each

Tyco Electronics
Connector; Pin; 20-24 AWG; Pin; Crimp; 20; Crimp Snap-in; Copper Alloy

Mfr's Part#: 205089-1
Allied Stk#: 512-4650
View Datasheet PDF 82051 $0.56
Each

THANK YOU JIM

I really appreciate this info. It would be nice to have the crimpers for down the road in case a wire broke etc. Now I can continue with those things once I round up these items.

Thanks a bunch again. You are really doing us early guys a HUGE favor.

John Bender

Hi Jim,

I mean this tongue in cheek, but after 4 planes you can't tell me you've been buying your electrical parts from Allied this whole time?!?!? If so, you blown money! :)

Just an FYI for those of you who are new to sourcing parts for your project, but that is about the most expensive place to buy parts for your project (places like Allied/Newark/Mouser). Those pins are about 50% cheaper from us, Van's, B&C, and most of the other aircraft supply houses. No reason to throw good money away by paying double for the same stuff!

Also, be careful with the stuff from Action electronics. Some is acceptable, but a lot of their stuff is the lowest grade piece parts that exist out of China. Some are ok, some are just junk. Stick with known places run by known people with known experience and you'll get known parts at good prices.

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
Stein

OK. Give me a price for the 4 way pin crimper, and 20 each of the male and female pin connectors we need for THIS project. I have several wires without pins on the ends. Jim said I need the female ones also, so some of each would be good.

I think I just found the crimper Jim referenced at $39.

PM or here is fine with me.

Thanks,

John Bender

Hi John,

I love to take people's money, but before I encourage you to go buy the stuff, I might humbly suggest that you wait just a little bit to see what Van's may end up supplying for you gratis. I wouldn't necessarily assume becaues there were three pins missing (or other piece/parts) that Van's is not going to supply them to you. Although I would agree that it's a good idea in general to have some extra supplies for the project, my past experience with Van's has shown that if they miss parts in a kit, you can count on them to make it right 100% of the time. While Jim is one of the early builders, he may or may not be aware of what plans the factory has or doesn't have to supply builders with replacement parts.

There is going to be glitches for sure, but I can say with confidence that from what I've seen of most kits out there (and we deal with lot of the LSA mfgrs both in this country and abroad), this is hands down the best put together LSA kit in the market available. I know everyone is excited to get their plane done and eagerly/anxiuosly awaiting each kit as it is released but I'm fairly certain that everyone will end up with a complete kit and a great airplane when it's all said and done.

Cheers,
Stein

Stein

Appreciate your comments. I agree, they will likely supply some of the pins. I think the problem will be that for me I do not have pins on the trim wire either, and some do seem to have the pins on the trim wire. I am missing maybe 10 - 15 pins. Yes, I can wait to see what they supply. I do not believe they will supply a crimping tool. And I would not mind having a few extra pins around. The pins do not seem expensive. Let me know please.

Thanks,

John bender

Stein,

I would like to add the crimper to my toolbox. Which one do you suggest? Mfgr/Model #?? I have a bunch of pins.

Before retiring we used the Tyco/Amp crimper, very nice, but, they are $750, new.

REVISIONS

There are a bunch of revisions on Van's web site that have been posted in the last couple of days including the tool requirements page in section 3.

Stein,

I would like to add the crimper to my toolbox. Which one do you suggest? Mfgr/Model #?? I have a bunch of pins.

Before retiring we used the Tyco/Amp crimper, very nice, but, they are $750, new.

Marty,

Call me tomorrow, I have a $31.00 solution for you. See number below. I start answering the phone at 9:00 am CST.

OPT Harness Question

I sent Gus at Van's a note and here is his response:

On 29 Mar 2009 at 23:08, James Cone wrote:

To: "'Gus Funnell'" <[email protected]>
Subject: RV-12 glitches
Date sent: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 23:08:50 -0700

...snip
> The optional 25 pin D-sub connector has four extra wires in the
> bundle.
> There is a white wire and a black wire that each have female connector
> pins on them. There are two other wires that do not have pins on
> them.
> One is
> orange and the other is wht/blu. What should we do with these four
> wires?
>
I believe they are for future expansion, but I will check with the Designer. Do nothing with them for now.
..snip
Gus

Has anyone looked at Gus' response to Jim Cone's question as I quoted? On my OPT wiring harness I see the orange and wht/blu wires. They do not have pins on them but are hanging near the main DB-25 connector. Have to assume they are for some future expansion????

On the same harness I also see the black and white wires. They have pins and are currently inserted in the Main DB-25 connector. IT APPEARS these two wires have to be removed from the connector and the longer black and white wires from the autopilot disconnect switch have to be inserted in these locations.

AM I CORRECT??? This would be contrary to Jim's response from Gus.

Has anyone looked at Gus' response to Jim Cone's question as I quoted? On my OPT wiring harness I see the orange and wht/blu wires. They do not have pins on them but are hanging near the main DB-25 connector. Have to assume they are for some future expansion????

On the same harness I also see the black and white wires. They have pins and are currently inserted in the Main DB-25 connector. IT APPEARS these two wires have to be removed from the connector and the longer black and white wires from the autopilot disconnect switch have to be inserted in these locations.

AM I CORRECT??? This would be contrary to Jim's response from Gus.

My black and white wires were not inserted. I put female pins on the orange and the wht/blu wires because it was easy to do and and the pins in the connector are all female. It would be harder to do later. I left those pins unconnected but with enough loop in the wires to allow them to be inserted anywhere in the connector.

Jim,

So did you insert the longer white wire from the autopilot disconnect switch into Pin 9 and the longer black wire from the autopilot disconnect switch into Pin 12 of the MAIN DB-25 connector on the OPTIONAL harness??

Back