- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 AM

Default Another Trailer Concept

After exchanging a couple emails with Dr. Dave I made this trailer concept #3:

I posted multiple images and an animation here:
http://www.box.net/shared/8s6psmv2l1

Notes:
  • I saved the animation in Windows Media (WMV) and Quicktime. The WMV is a little higher quality, if you can play it.
  • The goal was to minimize size, weight an wind resistance. This one is not the "super hangar on wheels".
  • I'll add the trailer tongue & axle
  • The wings will obviously need to be supported with some type of padded rack
  • I don't know if we can squeeze the RV-12 gear between the trailer tires. They measure 84" outside, and the trailer cannot be wider than 102" in most states. That's only 9" per side for the trailer wall, wheel & fender. The alternative would be to put the deck above the wheels, making the trailer much taller.
  • Those small doors near the wheels are for easy access for tie-downs.
The previous 2 trailer concepts can be found here: http://www.box.net/shared/2kjtn56l6b
Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 AM

I'm curious how much the trailer + airplane will weigh? It seems to me you'd need at a minimum a 1/2 ton pickup to tow?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Another trailer concept

You are headed in the right direction, a trailer for many will make safe storage possible and afforadable. I think you may find that the wings will want to be on each side of the trailer so that they ride into the trailer on wheeled fittings that lock into the trailer when they are in place. I am also concerned about the "Dog Houses" for the elevator as the natural movement of the aircraft on its gear will cause a lot of movement in that area which could cause damage to the elevator, perhaps some kind of tail end vertical lock stand could resolve it.

The glider/sailplane people have mastered trailers and wing removal, if you get the chance please go to a glider field to see the trailers they use for the better glass ships. You will see much of interest.

I also see a need for a simple open trailer that can be used to store the plane on for storage in the back of existing hangars or in the home garage where weather protection is done by the building and easy transportation to the ramp at the airport is the only need. Again a trailer like the kind of open trailers used by the glider world for gliders like the Schwitzer 1-26 would serve very well and would not cost much.

Keep up the good work.

Best regards,
Vern
Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM

It looks a bit like the trailer they used to sell for the BD-5.

The one thing I don't like is putting the wings on the trailer floor. There are a few reasons for this; first, a rock or stick that gets tracked up into the trailer will put a dent in the wing and second, the top wing will be bouncing on the bottom wing and they are not designed to take that kind of load.

There is another problem with the current design, how are you going to "slide" the wings in place and secure them after you get the fuselage in the trailer?

It might be better to make some type of rack and/or straps to support the wings on the side of the fuselage, leading edge down. Then you can put the wings in before winching the fuselage in place.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 08-29-2008, 11:27 AM

Kevin,

keep up the good work....i'm amazed at what you've done already. THx

Pete
Old 08-29-2008, 11:31 AM

Default One other question...

How wide is the HS on the -12?

Isn't the max roadable width w/o wide load permits 8-1/2 feet in most states?
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 08-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Very nice...
Old 08-29-2008, 12:30 PM

Stab. Clearance
The stabilator is 96" (8'), So I added 3" to either side. This might not be enough room to allow for movement on a bumpy road. We could support the tailcone but that might cause damage. Dr. Dave suggested wide open slots, leaving the stab. & rudder tips exposed (perhaps with strap-on padded sleeves). Then for fixed storage have hard-shell covers.

Horiz. Wing Storage
Concepts 1 & 2 have vertical wing storage. This concept #3 was suggested by Dr. Dave. It allows for a lower & more curved roof - saving weight & helping crosswind handling. The wings definitely wouldn't be on the floor or stacked directly on each other. Perhaps the bottom wing is placed on a padded cradle on a track, then a padded spacer is set on it, then the top wing. Finally the assembly is slid forward & strapped down.

Weight
The RV-12 weighs 750 lbs. If we keep the trailer under 1,250 (2,000 lbs. total) then most small trucks and many cars will be able to pull it. But to keep it under that weight it can't be built like most 20' cargo trailers, which typically have dual axles, weigh 3,000 lbs empty and have a 7,000 lb. capacity (10,000 GVW). I saw a cargo trailer at Sun n Fun with what looked like a vinylized cloth shell. Very light, but I think a hard shell would be a little more protection.

Last edited by KThorp : 08-29-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:52 PM

Kevin,

Very very neat!

With the RV12's empty weight of 740 (or reported 720) and 20 gal of gas the total load is about 850 or so easily under 1,000 with other stuff. So a total tow weight of under 3,000 lbs is within reason, and within mini-van capability. The limiting factor for towing then becomes wind resistance, which your design works toward minimizing, while allowing in trailer maintenance (like oil changes) and fueling on the way to the airport.

To aid in reducing the overall width, it might be possible for the aircraft's wheels and the trailer wheels to share the same track. This would allow for larger wheels and a low overall height. Using low-rider technology, jack the trailer wheels away from the trailer (i.e. raise the trailer) to provide a flat bed for loading, and then lower the trailer for towing. An air pump and two air bags should do it.

The load sequence. Start the aircraft in until the main wheels are up to the rear trailer wheel fenders. Raise the trailer bed thus putting the top of the trailer wheels below the bed. The trailer wheel fenders/wheel buckets moves with wheels and their top surfaces fills the holes in the trailer bed, providing a smooth surface for the aircraft main wheels to roll on. Mover the aircraft fully forward. Lower the bed, the top of trailer wheels are now again above the trailer bed and the fender buckets seal the inside from the outside. The forward fenders around the trailer wheels also chocks the aircraft wheels in the fully forward transport position. Now roll the the loaded wing dolly under the rear fuselage and lock it in place.

Kevin, thanks for your work on this.

-Dave
Old 08-29-2008, 05:21 PM

just a question.

does anyone know how Partain's trailered the red one to Sun N' Fun last spring? What did they use? What was the config? Or do they use large tractor equip and 40' trailers?

Pete