What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flew the Red RV-12, etc.

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
My bride and I visited Van's yesterday. I have the following to report:

A. We were shown the factory set-up and Tour Guide Gus told us that one of the machines that we were watching was producing empennage parts for the RV-12! I guess that those of you who are waiting for those parts may be hearing from Van's fairly soon. This is pure speculation on my part - not breaking news from Van's

B. Spin testing is complete with great results. I accepted that and asked no more about it.

C. Flew the red 12. I am a very low time pilot so maybe I'm easy to impress but I found this aircraft to be awesome. Visibility in all directions is practically unlimited - aircraft handling is so easy - we did both full flap and departure stall attempts and this aircraft did not want to stall - just kind of mushed along with the stall warning device making noise. It flies like it's on tracks - doesn't wander off in any axis. Joe mentioned that it is fairly slippery (he demonstrrated a full flap side slip) in order to correct for my high and fast pattern!!! Awesome. Landing was almost too easy - again, awesome!!! He touched down about 38 knots. The engine was smooth and quick to respond to pilot input. I am becoming a believer but would still like to spend my money on an American made engine if possible - (it isn't). Lots of room inside. I like the Dynon products and factory support so I'm happy that Van's chose Dynon. I asked about each of the switches on the panel - (light, autopilot, etc) and was told that these will most likely be offered as 'options'. Also, wheel pants will likely be offered as 'options'.

D. I asked if anyone is thinking about selling a trailer kit for the 12. Gus said that they had 'kicked it around a little bit but it was his guess that 'some interprising individual will probable beat us to selling a trailer kit'. I told him that I would like to purchase an unfinished trailer kit (frame, lights, already licensed, etc) in Oregon and then haul my complete RV-12 home on that trailer. I could finish the trailer (exterior - pulled rivets, prepunched aluminum sides, etc) prior to starting on the aircraft kit. Gus expressed the thought that they (Van's) had thought of just that scenereo).

Overall, I am pumped about the prospect of building, owning, and flying my own RV-12. Thanks to Van's this will happen in a year or two!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Great to hear. I'm wondering if the lightened Continental O-200 (LSA) would be a decent candidate... It seems like it'd weigh more, but still be acceptable. I guess it comes down to installed weight.

I agree with E. D. Eliot and would like Van's or more probably someone near Aurora or Portland develop or build a kit trailer for the RV-12.

It would be nice if a daylong build class for the trailer would get it road legal, if not finished, where all of the RV-12 sub kits could then be trailered home.

I would like to see Van's at least design the trailer so the wing cradle, tie downs and other parts would custom fit the RV-12 like a glove. I can understand where Van's most likely not build the kit themselves, they after all build airplane kits not trailer kits, but perhaps they could franchise the design or receive a commission for each RV-12 trailer kit sold.

"Tour Guide Gus told us that one of the machines that we were watching was producing empennage parts for the RV-12! ... not breaking news from Van's"
It appears that most of the information lately comes from folks who either visit the factory or place a call. I check the 'Mother-ship' website daily and the progress updates are quite stingy, they were more frequent during the development of the yellow POC. All I can surmise is that they are so confident in demand and subsequent sales that the investment in time is not needed. Releasing more frequent website updates have to be cheaper and more broad-reaching than hauling the proof-of-kit airplane all over the country.

Let's start a collection to get Ken an assistant...

Last edited:
Vans really ought to have a Blog. Keep the website for the permanent, carefully editing stuff, but put the latest news, photos etc. on the blog. They're simple to set up and very quick to update.

That would go a long way towards keeping up customer interest.

New RV-12 News!

Um, they updated the crating charge for the fuselage on the order form (same as the wings, btw). Does that count? :rolleyes:

Vans really ought to have a Blog. Keep the website for the permanent, carefully editing stuff, but put the latest news, photos etc. on the blog. They're simple to set up and very quick to update.

That would go a long way towards keeping up customer interest.

They must not feel the need to worry about customer interest considering they've already sold over 100 wing kits. The RV-3 has been available for how long? There are 257 flying according to their website. I'm guessing they are already quite pleased with how the 12 is selling.

I'm seriously considering ordering the RV-12 wing kit but keep reminding myself how crazy that is considering how little we actually know about the plane!

Anxious in RV-12 land

IMHO Van's does not market it's kits. The kits are there if you want to purchase them. The kits and their airplanes speak for themselves. In our information driven age we expect to be updated every nanosec but IMHO Van's doesn't work that way. Slow down, breath deeply and everything will be OK. You guys need to cut down on your caffene. Bob Kibby "2BK"

Wing kit deliveries

I talked to Van's Kit Delivery Dept this afternoon to see if my wing kit #105 was going to be shipped this week as my original paperwork stated. The answer is no! Van's is still having trouble getting the spars from their outside vendor. The Kit Delivery Dept indicated that my kit shipping date would be 1 to 2 weeks later than my previous paperwork indicated. N712BK reserved but nothing to paint it on. Bummer, now I am going to have to cut down on my caffine also! Bob Kibby N722BK Discus-2T sailplane, N712BK RV-12 in waiting.

Back