What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting canopy

Capt

Well Known Member
Hi Guys/Gals

Am looking at advice for painting my RV8 canopy at the rear so make it appear like a fast back version. Wondering what sort of primer should go on the plex first before the final top coat & what preparations I should be doing prior to painting? I can't find any photos on the net but someone out there must have painted the rear slider canopy to kind of sweep up at the rear just past the rear seat location, anyone?
Thanks

Me too. But I just need to touch up around the roll bar / windscreen / fiberglass interface.

I've posted the same question before and never saw an answer. I've been meaning to check with Todd's Canopies new owner and/or https://www.airplaneplastics.com/ to find out exactly what material is used and what paints would be compatible.

Pretty sure some stuff will just melt the canopy, so we need to be careful.

If we don't get an answer on here, I'll contact the 2 companies directly.

When I painted my canopy, in 1993, I tried every primer you can imagine. Nothing seemed to work well. I finally found that using no primer at all worked best. I just scuffed up the plexiglass and painted directly with JetGlo Polyurethane. It still looks great today.

3M 1080 vinyl would do the trick nicely. Mask off the area with razor tape to your liking, stick and peel. Very durable, won't harm the canopy and removable if you change your mind. Worked great on my -7 slider.

Thanks guys.
I actually thought about vinyl wrap as I recently saw a warbird wth day-glo wrap around the cowl area and it looked great. Wasn't too sure about it on the plexiglass as a fair bit of heat is required I believe to shrink and stretch it around compound curves, and also getting a colour match to mine (Sunburnt Orange) Might look into that a bit more though.
I also thought about directly painting the colour without primer but I notice the builder (not me obviously) has a grey primer on the canopy where it meets the skirt.
Still can't find a photo of what I am trying to do, might have to get some fancy photo shop computer to modify mine to see what it looks like before I commit. Good to read others thoughts, thanks.

If you've ever applied the 3M vinyl, you will find that it takes very little heat to make it do what you want. Just a whispy pass with a low heat gun and you can pretty much make it do whatever you want. I would give the vinyl a try before you commit to paint. You will be pleasantly surprised. Like I said before, the knifeless tape really makes layout simple and easy.

Thanks Jake.
I'm looking into where I can get the vinyl from (am down under) and to see if the 3M 1080 sunburnt orange they have is a close match to the paint on my plane. I'd much prefer the vinyl over paint, like the idea if I don't like the outcome just peel it off:) Never heard of knife less tape, you learn something everyday here -:)

I'll keep everyone informed of my progress:)

Cheers

Back