What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Heated Pitot Amps

h&jeuropa

Well Known Member
I'm considering fitting a Dynon Heated Pitot to my Rotax 914 powered Europa. The specs say it will draw up to 10 amps. I don't have that much excess capacity.

For those that are using one, how much current does it actually use in most conditions? Does it start out at high (10) amps and then ramp down as it heats up? Once it heats up, how many amps does it draw? Is the draw continuous or is it pulsed?

Thanks

Jim Butcher

Other than a couple times in cold clouds, mine has only been on to test. I only remember seeing it cycle 1-3 amps. Don't know what condition would get it to ramp up to 10. Doesn't appear to start at 10 and ramp down. My alternator will no support everything being on at the same time; Nav, strobe, pitot heat, landing light something has got to go.

Jim,
On my IFR 7A, my VPX shows right at 10 amps from the heated pitot. That amperage is steady, with no ramp-up or scale-down.

I measured max 7.3 Amps. So 10 Amps as stated is reasonable.
The max. current is intermittent, the controller cycles the current up and down. So to be on the save side you should plan for the worst case. Can you shed some power from other equipment when using the heated pitot ?

Back