What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JetFlex on Baffles?

gfb

Well Known Member
Has anyone used jetflex on their baffles? I know it's interior paint, just trying to save time on sourcing another paint type and having it color-matched.

Has anyone used jetflex on their baffles? I know it's interior paint, just trying to save time on sourcing another paint type and having it color-matched.

I powder coated mine. A good shop will have just about any color you want. I think I paid like $95 to get my RV-10 baffles done by a shop down the street from the hangar. Four and a half years later they look as good as new.

My first set was painted with an off the shelf engine paint. I must not have prepped well enough. That paint didn't even last a year.

I powder coated mine. A good shop will have just about any color you want.

I talked to my poweder coat guy and he recommended we cerakote instead. He was concerned about the temp highs on the powder and indicated the cerakote would be much tougher stuff.

I talked to my poweder coat guy and he recommended we cerakote instead. He was concerned about the temp highs on the powder and indicated the cerakote would be much tougher stuff.

I'm not familiar with cerakote.

I can tell you mine were powder coated a bright white. They look like new after more than four years of flights. there is no yellowing or color change.

Just curious

Why paint the baffles at all? They sure don't need it for corrosion protection and a coating is more likely to hide any cracks.

Why paint the baffles at all? They sure don't need it for corrosion protection and a coating is more likely to hide any cracks.

This is a good point ... how protected are the baffles with engine oil seepage, etc that seems to get all over the engine compartment? I've seen spam cans (Pipers, mostly) with ugly, corroded baffles ... white zits everywhere. Based on this past experience, I'd like something to protect my custom fitted babies.

Cerakote seems awesome; it is much more expensive than powder coat or a home-applied spray on finish?

Yeah, don't paint your baffles - in a couple of years you will be glad you didn't!!

Pete

Mine are over four years old with powder coat and still look like they did when I picked the, after being coated.

I think it really depends on your surface prep and the coating you use.

I powder-coated the baffles white on my C-180. 700 hours later, the paint is coming off in a couple areas. They've gotten dirty all over and the dirt is stuck in so well that I can't clean them.

I sure as heck won't be making that mistake on my RV-3B.

Dave

Back