What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum Spinners

Breezy

Well Known Member
Looking for feedback on Aluminum Spinners. How was the installation?
Any issues in service? Which manufacturer & part #did you use?

Maybe it would help if you tell us for what prop. The installation for a constant speed prop is different than fixed.

I got one of Allan's spinner on my catto prop and it was straight forward if you follow his video. I have about 60 hrs on it without any issues.

I bought the Sensenich fixed pitch and aluminum spinner combo. No issues, fit perfectly.

Realized I didn't include prop info after posting.
Hartzell Constant Speed. Have looked at the Cummings spinner just wondered if there were other options.
Thanks for the response.

To my knowledge there was another option for the HCS but it disappeared from the markets years ago. I installed the Cummins spinner on mine a couple of hundred hours ago and it seems to be a very good quality unit.

Larry

fyzb7o.jpg
[/IMG]

Al spinner & SS mounting screws

Looking for feedback on Aluminum Spinners...
Any issues in service?
Insulating washers between the spinner surface and dissimilar metals are a good idea.

In an unfinished kit purchased in the past, the aluminum spinner mounting screws had Tinnerman-style washers. I had the raw aluminum polished professionally, then I installed w/ no issues.

After some time I used metal polish on the spinner, without removing the screws. Some polish remained at the outside edge of the washers; when I flew through rain, I set up for corrosion, i.e. a wet conductive material (polish residue) between dissimilar metals. At the next polish session I found minor pitting, in some locations, when I removed the screws and washers.

Absolutely not a manufacturer issue... and I don't recall who made the spinner, which was replaced when I changed the prop.

Back