What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O2

asw20c

Well Known Member
Here in New Mexico, and most of the places I normally fly, cruise altitudes are typcially 9500 feet and higher. It is a rare flight that includes altitudes any lower. If you are flying into/over many of the mountains here and up into Colorado and Utah you will be flying much higher. I therefore plan to include an oxygen system where I can mount a bottle when I need it, and easily remove it when I don't. Surely some folks here have a similar requirement. Where/how have you mounted your bottle? I'm just finishing my empennage and will be building the wings next so I have time to figure this out, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to see what others have done.

O2 bottle behind passenger

The gentleman who built the RV7A I now own installed a portable oxygen bottle behind the passenger's seat (standing up and secured with large ring clamps) and ran lines to the panel (both pilot's and copilot's side) for plugging in cannulas. This placement works very well in that I can reach behind that seat from mine and grab the pouches that hold the cannulas, plug them into the panel connections, and then reach back again and turn on the oxygen bottle.

The builder lived in Denver and often flew at higher altitudes (9,500 and above). From where I sit it's relative easy to see the pressure gage also. It's like having an onboard oxygen system.

There are a few ways to do this. I mounted mine to the flap rod access cover behind the passenger, on the side wall of the fuselage. The bottle sits upright on the floor and is braced to the sidewall. It is easily accessible from the pilot side from there by reaching/looking behind the passenger, to plug in cannulas, adjust flow, etc. is sturdy and removable.

Anyone with mounting suggestions for the RV-8 please chime in. We have an RV-8 and a MountainHigh 22 cu/ft bottle. Any input welcome and appreciated!

Nope. I'm also a member of the Albuquerque soaring club. Every glider on the field has oxygen so we keep a bank of O2 cylinders in the club house. I just fill my bottle off their supply when I need it.

I did my soaring in Florida and here in Indiana. I only dreamed of needing O2! 😄 (Sorry about the thread drift)

Back