What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot wiring connector?

kbalch

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to install the Gretz mount in my left wing prior to riveting the bottom skins and will be using the Garmin GAP26 unregulated heated pitot/AOA tube.

What's the best connector solution for the two required 14 AWG wires? Some sort of Molex plug or D-sub connector?

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I really want to button up the left wing and get moving on the right one. The right leading edge and tank are already done, so it should go together quickly...

Thanks!

Two reversed fully insulated Fast-on tabs would be simple and carry the current fine. Reverse the pairs to maintain polarity when servicing.

I am going to use solder sleeves. I will just cut them if I ever need to remove the pitot.

I'm not offering a "best" solution here, just an option. I have the Dynon heated pitot, so things might be different for you.

I used a polarized Molex connector. It has a lot of mating friction whilst allowing me to disconnect it as necessary.

03-09-1032_sml.jpg

03-09-2032_sml.jpg

The part numbers and DigiKey links for those connector and the associated pins can be found here.

Thanks, guys, for all the great ideas. I'm going to go with the simple solution of insulated Faston connectors.

Now, I've just got to make sure that the tubing is bent enough to insert through the mount and still clear the aileron pushrod.

Thanks, guys, for all the great ideas. I'm going to go with the simple solution of insulated Faston connectors.

Now, I've just got to make sure that the tubing is bent enough to insert through the mount and still clear the aileron pushrod.

I mounted mine one bay outboard of the pushrod/bellcrank and shortened the tubes to assure clearance.

Check out photos here: https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2018/02/february-10-2018-update-completed-pitot.html

and here: https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2018/02/update-february-6th-bottom-wing-skins.html

Connectors?

I dont plan to remove mine. I just solder spliced the wires andcsimple tubing slid over tubes leaving service loop. If i have to remove simple snip and redo. No conector, no guessing when it doesnt work.

Back