What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trying to find the original owner of RV9 90388

flyabq

Hello,
I have purchased the Wings and Tail from RV9 90388. Vans told me that they also sold the original owner a Fuselage as well. They have no other record of that fuselage. it doesn't mean that someone else didn't buy it, just that they didn't register it with vans. The original owner was Brian Woodruff located in Hillsboro OR. Does anyone happen know him? Or what happened to the Fuselage for 90388?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Sorry for your plight but your situation should serve as a warning for anyone interested in purchasing a project to contact vans and check the history of the builder number. I doubt that Vans will change or make an exception in their kit sales policy to provide another fuselage.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean, if he can't locate THAT fuselage? Would he have to/be able to "create" a new serial number with Vans, in order to purchase the needed kits?

I thought the serial number was established with the sale of the empennage? If so then this would just be a replacement fuse kit for that existing serial number.

Take that scenario a step further - a builder screws up a part in a kit and has to re-order that part (we've all been there) but it still goes under the original serial number. Remember that Vans asks for your builder number on every order. How would this be different?

I ordered a lot of extra tank parts for my build, but they all went under my builder number, no problems there. Why would a whole sub-kit be any different?

Don't think that's a thing.

I bought a partially completed project from another builder. Sold the finish kit and fuselage kits... then bought another fuse kit. Never had any trouble with any of it.

I thought the serial number was established with the sale of the empennage? If so then this would just be a replacement fuse kit for that existing serial number.

Take that scenario a step further - a builder screws up a part in a kit and has to re-order that part (we've all been there) but it still goes under the original serial number. Remember that Vans asks for your builder number on every order. How would this be different?

I ordered a lot of extra tank parts for my build, but they all went under my builder number, no problems there. Why would a whole sub-kit be any different?

And why would they care? They make another sale, on the same builder number, and profit. How would they know that a dump truck didn't run over the fuselage and you need a new one?

I'd say fill out the order form, put that serial number/builder number on it, and build on...

What *might* be a problem would be this:

Every kit shipped from Van’s is issued a serial number, variously known as the “builder’s number” or “customer number.” The FAA requires an official Bill of Sale from the kit manufacturer before issuing an Airworthiness Certificate. Van’s Aircraft supplies this to the person buying the kit directly from Van’s, but of course, cannot supply it to someone buying the kit from a private party. When you buy a second hand kit, get a bill of sale from the seller that lists the serial number of the kit and his/her address. Van’s Aircraft must receive a copy of this document in order to maintain the required paper trail for the FAA. Also, include the necessary data about you, the new owner: name, address, email and phone numbers, etc.

if you didn't get a BOS from the seller (or if there were other chain of ownership issues due to multiple owners). But that's a different question, I think...

Last edited:
Lots of conclusion jumping going on here.....

The OP never said he had to find the original fuselage so that he could finish building his airplane.
He just said he was looking for it.

No surprise

Just another thread where the original post wasn’t read or comprehended, tons of speculation and thread drift. Nothing new.
No attempt to address the original question. This ranks with the responses that start with “I have absolutely no idea about what your asking about but I have a story about my cousin’s dog.

Last edited:
Sorry for your plight but your situation should serve as a warning for anyone interested in purchasing a project to contact vans and check the history of the builder number. I doubt that Vans will change or make an exception in their kit sales policy to provide another fuselage.

Why would they not want to sell someone one of their kits?

Hello,
I have purchased the Wings and Tail from RV9 90388. Vans told me that they also sold the original owner a Fuselage as well. They have no other record of that fuselage. it doesn't mean that someone else didn't buy it, just that they didn't register it with vans. The original owner was Brian Woodruff located in Hillsboro OR. Does anyone happen know him? Or what happened to the Fuselage for 90388?

Thanks!
Jeremy

The first post didn't. The second post did.

First post is quoted above. There are no other posts in the thread by flyabq.

Sorry I was busy

Sorry for the delayed response guys. Yesterday was a crazy day. I was trying to find the original owner to see if he still had the original fuselage and might want to sell. I talked to Vans and they said that they have no issues selling me another fuselage if I can not locate the original one sold to my serial number. I was just hoping that it was floating around and I could save a little money and clear up some space in someones storage at the same time. No big deal if I can't locate it. I will just get another one.

Sorry for the delayed response guys. Yesterday was a crazy day. I was trying to find the original owner to see if he still had the original fuselage and might want to sell. I talked to Vans and they said that they have no issues selling me another fuselage if I can not locate the original one sold to my serial number. I was just hoping that it was floating around and I could save a little money and clear up some space in someones storage at the same time. No big deal if I can't locate it. I will just get another one.

Now that all of the conclusion jumping and speculation has been put to rest.......:rolleyes:

Van's assigns a serial # to any given RV project, based on the serial # of the empenage kit used to build any given airplane.

There are serial #'s assigned to the wing spars and center sections of fuselage kits, but they are for tracking purposes only and have no connection to a specific customer/serial # or aircraft kit.

Bottom line.... a kit section (or sections) doesn't become a lawn ornament just because the group of kit sections originally purchased together, no longer is.

Back