What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D-180 Inaccurate Capacitive Fuel Levels

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I posted this on the Dynon forum and didn't get much feedback. Does anybody have a solution? BTW, I use only 100LL fuel:

Hello:

I've been flying with this issue since my first flight in 2012 and I was wondering if there has been any resolution to this.

I have calibrated several times and each time I get the "there was no change in the voltage reading" warning. This is due to the very small change the Dynon sees during calibration.

As a result, my fuel gauges on the D-180 are accurate towards full but are significantly off near empty. They indicate that I have a couple of gallons more fuel than I really have. Not a good thing.

I finally got tired of re-calibrating the tanks and have accepted the issue. However, it's very disappointing that the reason I went with the capacitive set up is for improved accuracy. I would have been better off installing floats.

I bought the converters from Dynon years ago and the capacitive plates in the tank from Vans. I'm flying an RV-9A.

Has there been any solution to this issue?

Same issue here Kelly with my SkyView with Dynon senders.

I think I read in one of the forum posts of someone having luck with the Princeton 5 point module. I think the connection is different but can be modified, and the module is programmable to use a wider voltage range (all five volts) for better sensitivity.

They are pricey so I never got around to trying it myself.

I started with the D10 EMS and upgraded to the SkyView some time back.

I was an early beta tester for the Dynon capacitance senders and they worked well, until about four years ago. The right side would drop to zero, then climb back up, then drop, and climb back up. This would all start to happen after about 45 minutes of flight.

I replaced that one sender and all is good.

The good news is these fuel gages are so accurate, it is amazing. That is until you get below around three gallons in a tank, at which point they drop to zero. While three gallons may not sound like much, that represents 30 minutes of fuel and my normal low cruise.

I would try replacing one capacitance sender and see how that works out for you.

Back