What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuse block

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I'm looking at a 16 circuit Buss fuse block as sold by B&C specialty and Stein. The tabs for power out to each circuit would be pointing aft the same as the fuses. I would like the tabs oriented for the faston connectors on the opposite side of the fuses. I plan to mount the block on the RV-14 below the panel and the fuses would be facing the occupants and I would like the wires hidden exiting forward away from the occupants.
Anyone know of such a beast?
Thanks for the help.

MIH Industries
Check marine stores.
The fuse blocks from Stein and B&C have 1/4" spade connectors that could be bent somewhat away from the front of the holder to provide maybe 3/8" clearance between the connector and rear face of an aluminum panel, IF the fuse block is mounted so that the front surface of the fuse block is flush with the panel (or slightly recessed). But you would have to make a mounting bracket behind the panel, not as easy as surface mounting another brand or model.

I used a Cooper Bussmann 24 ATO fuse block with 3 sections for Buss A, Buss B, and Avionics.

316vrqc.jpg

2evds1d.jpg

Here is a link to Waytekwire, they have several types to select from depending on the number of circuits you need, fuse type, etc. There are a lot of good products if you want to get into solid state power distribution and control, switches, etc. Also, checkout the new Carling USB panel mount sockets, one the best I have seen.
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/46075/Cooper-Bussmann-15713-24-12-22A-ATC-Fuse-Block-/

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

I get what you are saying and your intent but to me that isn't required. A fuse should never blow if properly sized unless there is a real problem. If there is a real problem then you can't replace the fuse because it will just blow the replacement.

I like many things about the Bussman block pictured above, but I wish it had ring terminals instead of the special Delphi crimps. Any comment on those Delphi terminal ends - good/bad?

Thanks guy's, I was wandering what those terminals were. I too would much rather have ring terminals.

Are You Sure?

After extensive research 11 years ago using info then available - especially the Aero Connection, for my -8A I decided to use fuze blocks instead of circuit breakers. I also decided that in-flight replacement of a blown fuze was probably not going to fix anything - a spike that blows a properly sized fuze will probably reoccur. I located my fuze blocks in the forward baggage compartment - however, if I could redo the design, I'd place them facing aft on a drop-down panel cut into the aft forward baggage door bulkhead.

700+ hours of ops have validated my reasoning. The only fuze issue I had was with an undersized SL30 transmit fuze, but have a backup ICOM radio that solved the problem until I could troubleshoot on the ground (thanks to the proper gouge from Gary Sobek). Have never had any of the other fuzes blow.

I'd rethink your requirement for fuze block cockpit access.

On the RV-14 , there is a location that is made for it, just below the panel in the center so why not put it there?

I like many things about the Bussman block pictured above, but I wish it had ring terminals instead of the special Delphi crimps. Any comment on those Delphi terminal ends - good/bad?

I used my Molex pin crimp tool and did not have any problem with the termination. I also like the security of the pin retention in the fuse block. I did make one change after the initial build and removing the terminal from the block was not a problem.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

One way to evaluate quality is service history.
Do you know anyone that's had a wiring problem in a GM car in the last couple of decades?

I dont dislike/question the "quality" of the Delphi crimps - I dislike "yet another" specialized crimp tool/connector when I have a million ring terminals and the tools to properly install them in my shop.

Oh. I thought you were asking about quality ('good/bad'). I agree that it's a pain to need yet another specialized tool, and it's folly to bet on something else making a reliable crimp (including the strain relief) on those terminals.

But I don't wish for ring terminals; been there/done that on planes others built over a couple of decades. Talk about specialized tools; how many of us can add a 3rd hand, add fingertip vision to all three hands, and shrink all three to less than 50% size, to do maintenance/changes to the terminals, once the plane is flying?

Back