What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Let the fun begin

Tomorrow I pick up my empennage kit for the RV-10. Never built anything like this so it will be a journey. The kids are gone and I need a hobby. I am looking for suggestions on setting up the workshop, and any suggested links to get started. We just moved into our home so our garage is empty and will need to set it up.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Barry

Prep

Search these forums for "gotchas"

Spend time doing inventory. Organize parts. Van's has multiples of the same part in different bags...organize and consolidate. If you don't, you will spend as much time looking for parts as building.

Get a DRDT.

Get a pneumatic squeezer with adjustable set.

Get Tungsten bucking bars. They are a bit pricey but well worth the money.

You will need far more clecos than Van's recommends...mainly silver (3/32) and copper (1/8).

Get a 3/32 and an 1/8 dimple die set that works with a hand pop rivet puller. These are used to dimple holes that are difficult to reach.

Get a 6" Scotchbrite wheel and a bunch of 1" wheels.

Most important! Put a "Cuss Jar" in the shop. Every time you cuss, put a dollar in the jar. When it comes time to buy the Avionics, use the money saved in the cuss jar; in will be substantial!:D

And...

When you finish working on a section, WIPE THE SWEAT OFF OF THE ALUMINUM.

If you don't, it WILL cause surface corrosion...which isn't a real issue if you are painting but it is annoying.:mad:

Back