Originally Posted by rv7charlie
Plus component tolerance drift in the vpx and/or the transponder. None of us have any way of knowing how close to the edge the vpx was operating for those years.
OK you convinced me. So I figured I will perform the following tasks in that order when I head back out to the airport:
1. Reproduce the fault and fault behavior -- make sure I didn't overlook something I should have noticed or noticed something that was a coincidence leading me in the wrong direction.
2. Check the Alternator wires and belt tension and general condition. -- easy to do and most people which responded public or private were voting for the alternator.
2. Increase fuse limit from 3 to 5 A on the VP-X. This would be the easiest fix as nothing is really broken... . Components just drifted a bit which is normal.
3. Replace the EarthX with my old battery. I got some private communication that indicates that the EarthX protective circuit could cause issues and it's easy to do as I still have the old battery takes 5min to switch.
4. Replace alternator -- I don't have a spare one so unless I find one I have to spend some $$. That's why I ranked it last even though most people are rooting for that one ... .