What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GARMIN 796 BLUETOOTH CONNECTION TO GDL-39-3D

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello G3XPERT

Steve, I have a G796 with a GDL-39-3D in my RV-4 which used to auto-connect whenever I turned the Avionics ''ON'' but I turned that option ''OFF'' by mistake and would like to have this back....

Any idea on how I can get it to connect automatically to the GDL-39 again..

Do I need to delete the GDL-39 from the system and then re-load it ??if so how ??

Now I have to go thru -- Tools-- Set-Up-- Bluetooth-- and click on ''Connect''

Also, any way to verified that the GDL-39 is receiving the updates from the 796??

That is a lot of questions and I do appreciate your help

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Bluetooth Auto Reconnect

Hello G3XPERT

Steve, I have a G796 with a GDL-39-3D in my RV-4 which used to auto-connect whenever I turned the Avionics ''ON'' but I turned that option ''OFF'' by mistake and would like to have this back....

Any idea on how I can get it to connect automatically to the GDL-39 again..

Do I need to delete the GDL-39 from the system and then re-load it ??if so how ??

Now I have to go thru -- Tools-- Set-Up-- Bluetooth-- and click on ''Connect''

Also, any way to verified that the GDL-39 is receiving the updates from the 796??

That is a lot of questions and I do appreciate your help

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Hello Bruno,

The Aera 660 and Aera 795/796 software gives you the option of "auto reconnect on/off" for each of your Bluetooth connections.

First, make sure your 796 is up-to-date with the latest software, which is presently V5.20.

Next, select the Tools, Setup, Bluetooth page, select Menu, Manage Devices and turn on Auto Reconnect for your GDL 39 3D. It should now auto-reconnect each time the two are powered up.

Version 5.20 Aera 79X software includes GDL 39 V4.80 software. If you go to the Tools, Datalink page you can see what version is currently being used by the GDL 39 3D.

Thanks,
Steve

Software update

Oops, our 796 has Version 4.90. How do I update? I went to the Fly garmin page that I use to update the database and didn't see it.

~Marc

796 auto connect

Hi Steve

I knew there had to be a way...I'll do it this afternoon.

I have the latest software on the 796.

Thanks, greatly appreciate the help.

Bruno

796 AUTO-CONNECT

Hi again Steve

I've done what you suggested this afternoon and it worked as advertised..thanks

Reference the GDL-39...If I looked at the Bluetooth page in the Tools menu of the 796, it tells me that is connected and when looking at the 3D page, I can see that it is..but why when looking at the Interface page in the Tool-Set Up menu, it says that it is not connected.It is set to ''Garmin Transfer'' in my memory is right...

Anything I should do there or is it a normal thing??

Thanks

Bruno

Hi again Steve

I've done what you suggested this afternoon and it worked as advertised..thanks

Reference the GDL-39...If I looked at the Bluetooth page in the Tools menu of the 796, it tells me that is connected and when looking at the 3D page, I can see that it is..but why when looking at the Interface page in the Tool-Set Up menu, it says that it is not connected.It is set to ''Garmin Transfer'' in my memory is right...

Anything I should do there or is it a normal thing??

Thanks

Bruno

Hello Bruno,

The Interface page is for configuring/reviewing the status of RS-232 connections to devices.

If I understand what you are saying, you have the Bluetooth turned on and connected to the GDL 39, and are not using a wired RS-232 connection to the GDL 39. If so, there is no information on that connection on the Interface page.

Thanks,
Steve

796/gdl-39-3d

Hi Steve

''If I understand what you are saying, you have the Bluetooth turned on and connected to the GDL 39, and are not using a wired RS-232 connection to the GDL 39. If so, there is no information on that connection on the Interface page.''
------------

You got it right, I'm not using the wired connection , stricly Bluetooth so that will explain the lack of info on that page..

Everything is fine and working..thank you for the help.

Cheers

Bruno

Back