What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider latch hook vs fairing sequence

tgmillso

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi All,

I've finished pretty much everything on the slider canopy installation, and just have the fairing and latch hook to go. In the manual it says to attach shape the C-654-1 canopy latch hook so that if fits around the latch pin as a last final step in the installation of the canopy. I then read that when people were laying up the canopy bow fairing and fiberglass, that they recommend the canopy is closed AND latched (thus they must be shaping the latch hook first). My question is, what is the optimal sequence? Should I work on the latch hook first, or just close the canopy, tape it shut and lay up the skirt and deal with the latch hook at the end?
I also just finished installing the Supertracks extensions. They are absolutely amazing. Worth every cent and the best mod I've installed yet.
Tom.

Order

Latch first. That way when fully closed there is a smaller outwards force on fiberglass or metal - whichever you choose to install.

Seems to me I shimmed the canopy open 1/16 inch on the forward botom stops when drilling the aluminum canopy skirts. They fit very nice (tight) when closed. Canopy was not latched when they were installed!

If the canopy closes all the way without latching, it won't matter. I seem to recall doing the latch last and my canopy is well sealed without an extra seals on the skirts or aft end.

Well this thing is closed, locked and taped up, so there's no turning back. I guess I'll check in again if the skirt turns out to be a complete disaster.
Tom.

Well this thing is closed, locked and taped up, so there's no turning back. I guess I'll check in again if the skirt turns out to be a complete disaster.
Tom.

Just don't forget to unlatch the canopy once you are done with the fiberglass work. Someone I know struggled to get the canopy open after they finished theirs, until a genius with impeccable timing happened into the hangar and suggested unlatching the canopy. Came right open then!

Tom.

The key to the side skirts is having someone on the outside pushing/holding the skirt while drilling from the inside. Also, try not to drill into those helpful hands :D

Back