What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder/Tailwheel Interaction

mikemalone

Before the tailwheel springs/chains are attached, full rudder movement is smooth and unrestricted to approximately +/- 32 degrees . After fitting the springs and chains, as the rudder deflects to approximately +/- 23 degrees, its movement starts to become inhibited and the springs start to stretch. Some resistance is then felt as the rudder is exercised through its final 10 degrees or so to maximum deflection. Is this normal and does it reflect the way the system is designed to operate; or are the chains possibly the a bit too short/tight? In the neutral position, the chains appear to have the correct amount of slack as notated in the plans.

Chains

It's normal...... You can vary it by a,dusting chain length.

Is this a new build or a flying aircraft? You might consider rudder pedal extensionds to keep your feet off the brakes, they steer well enough off the tailwheel/rudder.

A couple of thoughts...

Did you lubricate the tailwheel post?

Are the springs just a bit lose? Mine drape down a good bit.

Also, I used eye-bolts to secure the tailwheel springs to the rudder bottom and to the steering arm.

(Click to enlarge)

On the rudder steering horns, the holes are drilled out and eye-bolts are inserted pointing down. The springs are then attached to the eye-bolt with the steel clip that would normally attach the spring to the aluminum arm.

The advantage here is twofold; one, the spring is almost horizontal and should be out of the way of the rudder bottom.* Second, when the spring starts wearing away at the attachment points, the Eye-bolts are easy to replace.

This was not my idea, it was in one of the OLD RVaitors, which are good reading.

Parts List
Qty___Part
_4____Eye Bold Drilled AN42B-5
_4____AN365-1032 nylock locknuts
_4____Washer AN960-10
_2____Cable*Shackles AN115-21
_2____Bolt AN3-6* (Drilled shank)
_2____Castle nut AN310-3
_2____Cotter pins

Back