What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Airfoil Cross Sections?

Well Known Member
Does anyone have dimensioned drawings of the various RV models' airfoil cross sections? Don't worry, I'm not going to get in the business of copying wing parts, I just have an idea (probably a bad one) and need some dimensions to confirm. The ones of most interest to me are -10, -14, -9, -7.

Does anyone have dimensioned drawings of the various RV models' airfoil cross sections? Don't worry, I'm not going to get in the business of copying wing parts, I just have an idea (probably a bad one) and need some dimensions to confirm. The ones of most interest to me are -10, -14, -9, -7.

Steve Smith scsmith here on VAF did the design for the 10 airfoil.

You can search some more and find the numbers.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1013465&postcount=14

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=37807

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=54192

Last edited:

Thanks! I had seen those threads and references before. Just looking for the actual dimensions, for instance chord, as the airfoils can be scaled up or down. I have some -10 wings I can measure a few feet away, so really just need them for the other models. Sorry I was unclear.

Don?t know about the 3, but I think the 4,6,7&8 are Same airfoil. Search the web for Naca 23013.5, there is a number of sources that will list the airfoil coordinates.

The RV-9(A) uses a unique John Roncz airfoil I think named RV-6T (if memory serves) I've never seen the coordinates and I think only Vans and John Roncz have them. The airfoil is one of the reasons I bought the RV-9A kit. You can buy a single nose and main rib from Vans, this will get you close.

Thanks! I had seen those threads and references before. Just looking for the actual dimensions, for instance chord, as the airfoils can be scaled up or down. I have some -10 wings I can measure a few feet away, so really just need them for the other models. Sorry I was unclear.

You can scale up the coordinate to the chord length you want. The chord in the coordinate file is 1 unit of chord length so if you are building something like 24 inches of chord, just multiply everything 24 then you are done.

You can scale up the coordinate to the chord length you want. The chord in the coordinate file is 1 unit of chord length so if you are building something like 24 inches of chord, just multiply everything 24 then you are done.

Yep. I just don't know the chord dimensions for the other RVs.

RV-4-6-7-8 (wingtips interchangeable) W415 measured 58"

per brochure specs for above models, wing area / wing span suggests cord about 57.4" to 57.9", I assume brochure numbers are rounded due to wingtip shape etc.

old printed RV-6 plans have rib dimensional cord to rear spar at 43.93" +.040 rear spar + flap hinge flanges of about 1.5" + flap rib cord 10" + rear flap skin radius & thickness .025 + leading edge skin .032 = ????..
Sorry. did not see a overall cord dimensional length.

Take your pick

RV-4-6-7-8 (wingtips interchangeable) W415 measured 58"

per brochure specs for above models, wing area / wing span suggests cord about 57.4" to 57.9", I assume brochure numbers are rounded due to wingtip shape etc.

old printed RV-6 plans have rib dimensional cord to rear spar at 43.93" +.040 rear spar + flap hinge flanges of about 1.5" + flap rib cord 10" + rear flap skin radius & thickness .025 + leading edge skin .032 = …………..
Sorry. did not see a overall cord dimensional length.

Take your pick

Thanks! It's a great start, probably good enough for what I need to do.

I'm pretty sure the RV-14 uses the same ribs as the RV-10. So if you can measure the chord length on a -10, the 14 will be the same. If you want coordinates, I can supply them.

Likewise the RV-4,6,7,8 all use the same chord length. The RV-3 uses the same airfoil, but a different chord length.

The RV-9 is indeed a Roncz airfoil. I have the coordinates for it, but I am not sure I am at liberty to share them. Best ask Van.

Back