VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-06-2020, 12:35 PM

Default Managing Weather on trip to LA in RV-6A

I recently flew to LA and back (Sacramento area) in my RV-6A. It was a great learning experience and I took the time to document the trip so I could learn, and in case others might want to learn from my experience. It is long narrative, but so was the trip!

Let me now if you find it useful. My first attempt at a blog...

The link has a password - it is "flying".

https://silvashutterbug.wordpress.co...o-la-and-back/

password: flying
Old 05-06-2020, 01:22 PM

Chris: nice write up, thanks for sharing. Looks like you're a careful flyer, working the system, keeping your options open, and doing a self debrief - well done.
Minor thread drift; looks like you're running vortex generators on your RV. Care to comment on your perceived value of the VGs?

Doug
Seattle area
Old 05-06-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seward747 View Post
Minor thread drift; looks like you're running vortex generators on your RV. Care to comment on your perceived value of the VGs?

Doug
Seattle area
Nigel Speedy did a very good flight-test based review of VGs on his RV-8 in KitPlanes. One thing he did not look at was different chordwise locations for the VGs.

https://www.kitplanes.com/vortex-generators-on-an-rv-8/
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 05-06-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:56 PM

I purchased the VGs after reading a PIREP on the STOLSPEED site from another RV-6 owner. I wanted the extra margin of safety at critical AOA, and I feel they definitely soften the loss of lift. On the day of installation my clean power off stall went from a sharp break at 54 mph to a slow, mushing break at 49 mph. I was also hoping they would help me on cross wind landings. So far the biggest cross wind I have tried since installing them has been 8Kts and I thought they helped, but that could be confirmation bias on my part. I feel they definitely make the plane safer at stall speeds and were well worth it for my purposes. I was hoping to post some video from that day but haven't had time to edit it all together yet. I will probably do a post on them when I finish the video.

Last edited by rcsilvmac : 05-06-2020 at 04:00 PM.