What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dave Anders Flying SDS EFI

Dave has been doing some testing on optimizing intake runner lengths as of late and has found a bit more free power as a result. Dave puts in a lot of time tweaking and testing to find every last bit of power and economy.

Hopefully you'll see some information on all this work soon. Truly fascinating approach using some cool electronic equipment to map pressure vs. time in the intake tubes.

Dave is THE man when it comes to this stuff. Lots 'o kudos.

Last edited:
on a personal note met Dave many moons ago at KOSH, first time when the -4 was still in its original config no fastback, polished alu. Started talking with the man and his engine install, I remember him asking Wanna have a look? no problem!.
No mean feat, but took the cowlings off to show and describe his perfect work for the better part of an hour, all the while I was shooting a zillion picts :)
Thanks Dave!

A true gentleman aviator :cool:

Last edited:
Agree. Dave has talked to many folks about what he has done to his RV. Very sharing with his information and experiences. A tremendous guy in this community.:)

As an aside, I am interested in what Dave is using for exhaust wrap and it's effects. Could you ask Dave please?

I know this is an old thread but I’d surmise his exhaust wrap is more to keep the heat off his induction tubes. (I try to read everything I can about the folks at FlyEFI and Dave Anders. Those two parties are geniuses) He seems to go to great lengths to keep his induction temps as low as possible. He mentions in one of his articles that for every 6 degree increase in induction temperature one looses 1 percent of power.

I can’t speak as to what brand of heat wrap he uses but I have to wrap certain parts of my wiring and tubing near the exhaust on my Velocity. (It’s a super tight cowl) The summit racing brand wrap seems to hold up very well. Cheers!

Dave is using SDS EFI...

Absolutely, my mistake. At the time I typed this I was having a conversation with a neighbor regarding Flyefii (hence the slip). I was explaining how I felt the SDS system seemed much better constructed, updated and all around higher quality. Especially the cnc parts. I’ll likely switch to a full SDS system for my -4.

My corrected response is way overdue but I didn’t want to leave bad info hanging out there. Really enjoyed this thread!

Another Update

Dave sent me some more data as his testing continues on optimizing his IO-360 intake system:

"I finally got some interesting numbers on the plenum. It makes more power due to the runners all being the same length and timing of the runner wave being closer. Due to the SDS I can tune the injectors to the condition I’m flying. Generally I tune the injectors to lean cruise which is where everything runs great, and you've seen that the CHTs are pretty close. It seems when I trim the cylinders all to 14.7 AFR, then adjust them all to the AFR I want to run, at least the cylinders are all producing the same power and my cooling is pretty even. I love this system. It’s simple and simply works great."

"I talked with Ken Tunnell about leaning to an AFR of 14.7 at 2900 rpm and 25.9” MAP. He said no problem if there is no CHT problems, so i went to 5500’ with the OAT 82 F. I used the potentiometer to set 14.7 then I went to the programmer and set each other cylinder to maximum EGT. With the + or - 1% trim you can literally see a change of maybe 2 degrees F on the EGT. This was certainly the closest to producing maximum power all at the same time as I've ever done. You can see there wasn’t even the hint of a CHT problem from the Savvy data (not shown here)."

Dave was seeing 245 mph at 14.7 AFR at 5500 feet.

Attachments

• dave8.png
    dave8.png
    642.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Back