What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BC700-H Oil Filter Adapter

I put a heavy duty Zip Lock bag around the whole enchilada with the bag bottom down below the filter. (Filter and filter attach coupling)
Slightly loosen filter
Place bag over filter
Continue to spin filter off with bag in place
Grip filter and bag together as filter detach falling into bag.
Zip and dispose.

R

My setup:

You do need a .75” spacer. I had to install a 45-degree fitting (AN823-8D) on the upper crankcase line instead of the supplied fitting. Stock hoses from Vans work fine. The crankcase breather line setup will NOT work with this. I had to come up with an alternative solution. Your right Pmag will have to come off to allow access.

On the upside - did an oil change yesterday and didn’t get a single drop out of the filter.

B&C has a demo kit they will send you that has various spacers and the adapter/filter so you can know for sure what all you will have to do to make it fit.

Would I do it again? Maybe, maybe not. But it’s on there now. :)

Last edited:
Has anyone who purchased a Thunderbolt . . .

had Lycoming install this adapter as part of their build>?? Jeff at Lycoming said he would do it. If so, was a spacer needed?

You bet correctly, I have it and I love it.
Others are correct in saying that there is a remedy/way of changing oil filter without a mess but to me, this is worth it.

In regards to the installation, I had to re-route the crankcase breather line. It was an easy re-route. You might also change the direction of the oil line to your oil cooler by the same length oil line will be used.

You do need a .75? spacer. I had to install a 45-degree fitting (AN823-8D) on the upper crankcase line instead of the supplied fitting. Stock hoses from Vans work fine. The crankcase breather line setup will NOT work with this. I had to come up with an alternative solution. Your right Pmag will have to come off to allow access.

On the upside - did an oil change yesterday and didn?t get a single drop out of the filter.

B&C has a demo kit they will send you that has various spacers and the adapter/filter so you can know for sure what all you will have to do to make it fit.

Would I do it again? Maybe, maybe not. But it?s on there now. :)

James,
What is your method of changing the filter to get all the oil out of it or avoid drips?

Thanks for the info! Did they install a spacer during the build? If so, what size?
No spacer and I had Lycoming to install it as part of my build. There was no additional charge for this, Jeff asked me to buy it and send it to him.

Hope this helps.

I added a gear-driven alternator on the vacuum pad and that ?may? have caused the need for the spacer...I just can?t recall.

To remove the filter without a mess, drill a hole in it at the highest point (or use a punch if you?re afraid you might get drill shavings down into the filter). You just want to allow air to get in the top and the filter will drain. Then drain the crankcase, clean the bugs off the windscreen, eat lunch. Then come back and unscrew a drip-free filter.

Back