What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall, replace or build on???

Fill it and move on

Most projects have dings and mistakes that are fixed, unless you are working on a show plane I would fill the hole with something like a dimpled rivet from the back side and move on. But that just me.
Figs

If I remember right there is a stiffener behind there so you may not be able to fill the hold with a rivet, but you could easily fill it with a good quality sealant. Or to go one better, you could put a small strip of stainless on top of it, with some sealant and also captured by a couple of the surrounding rivets. In any event, certainly not worth the hassle of redoing the whole firewall.

Chris

According to the Van's tech line, the firewall is non-structural, as long as you don't mess with the steel & aluminum angles. If it were mine and it cleared the backing structure, I'd just set a rivet in it. If it has structure behind it, I'd squeeze the hole back flat with the squeezer, & squirt sealant of choice (proseal, intumescent caulk, etc) in/behind the hole when riveting.

Once you mount everything on the firewall, even the OSH judges wouldn't be able to ding you for it.

Thanks

Good ideas, I might just fill it with pro seal later. I don?t think I can set a rivet there with the structure directly behind it unless I dimple opposite direction and set a ss washer to it.

Keep in mind, again depending on placement (and what's behind it), you can always find a need for an additional firewall penetration in the future (testing baffle performance, etc) so consider making a "professional" looking cover plate and move on!

FWIW

Back