What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing Garmin 696 with iPad+Garmin Pilot/Foreflight

atxpilot

I'm considering panel mounting my iPad Pro 9.7 and replacing the existing 696. On top of this, I'm already planning to install a Flight Stream 210 to send flight plans back and forth to the 430W.

Reason being - I like the functionality of the iPad WAY better plus the technology is always up to date. I've never had significant enough glare issues and only overheated one time which I'm also planning on an air vent system to keep it cool + a cover to keep direct sunlight off it in times of need. I've also got a Koger super shade which should help as well.

I've come across a few threads in search but nothing to deter me yet.

Can someone convince me not to do this? This requires cutting a larger hole in the panel so the more info the better

Between the much better readability of the 696 regardless of lighting and the much more finicky touch screen of the iPad, I much prefer the 696 for day-to-day navigating. If you really like touch screens, the 796 would be better than an iPad because it's designed to be an inflight touchscreen. On it, turbulence is much less likely to cause you to tap something other than that which you are trying to tap due to its larger tap-zones than any iPad has. Also, with my (getting older) eyes, the 696 is WAY easier to read than is my foreflight on the iPad. I have to have the iPad much closer to my eyes than I do the 696.

Having said that, I do use my iPad for ADS-B in, but that's just because I haven't wanted to spring for a more expensive Garmin ADS-B receiver.

Obviously opinions will vary widely on this.

Last edited:
What about from a feature/capability standpoint? Do you feel you would be giving up anything with only an iPad?

In regards to turbulence, I find that ALL instruments are hard to use in turbulence! That's probably just due to fat fingers though :rolleyes:

I would keep the 696 or get a 796. I have the 796 mounted right in front of me. I like having a dedicated gps and it is much more sunlight readable than my Ipad which I also take along for charts and backup. If I had to pick between my Ipad or the 796, I would pick the 796. The 796 won't overheat like the Ipad can. but my suggestion is to have both.

Last edited:
+1 for 796

I have the 796 mounted horizontally below my Dynon D100, also have iPhone 6s + on a magnetic mount on the panel and a iPad mini on the seat. The 796 is the most readable of the three in all conditions. With the sun behind you the iPad is almost unusable but the 796 can still be read.

The 796 also works well with the GDL39 and GDL82 and has been rock solid since I bought it years ago. I also like it that the GUI is similar to Garmin Pilot so no steep learning curve.

The iPad is great for data like charts, airport info etc but in a bubble canopy environment I find it somewhat hard to read. Also if you fix mount it you cannot move it around to get the best viewing angle in whatever lighting environment you happen to be in at the time.

I know a lot of people who fly with the iPad and are happy so you may get better inputs about location etc.
YMMV
Figs

I switched out my 696 and replaced it with an IPad mini mounted in and air Gizmo mount. I love it! It is mounted right next to my SkyView.

Back