What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin D-1 external GPS antenna issue

PCHunt

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Dynon D-1 external GPS antenna issue

I have two nearly identical DYNON D-1 "Pocket Panel" installations in two different aircraft.

Recently, one of them developed an issue that whenever the external antenna was plugged in, there was no GPS signal. Unplugging the external antenna enables the internal antenna, and the unit works properly. This occurred in New Zealand.

Upon returning to the US, the exact same thing is happening on my second aircraft!

Has anyone had this issue with a D-1? Any ideas, other than the rather unlikely failure of two different antennas nearly simultaneously?

Last edited by a moderator:
Followup

I sent an email to Dynon support, and within minutes, I received this reply:

The GPS satellites operate under a 20 year clock and that clock "rolled over" two weeks ago. Most GPS units can handle this including the D1, but some units (like the D1 external antenna) are having trouble. The solution is to replace the external antennas. We can supply replacements to you for no charge outside of shipping. You will have to return the old external antennas.

An amazing customer support response!

Interesting, my D1 had the same issue. I called support on the phone and walked through their troubleshooting while on the phone with them. I was told that they had no replacement external gps units for the D1 but would sell me a new D3 at a discount. Sending it out when I shipped them the other one. With 2day usps shipping and Dynons in-house turnaround time it took 17 days to receive the new unit. I?m not upset with the new unit but probably would have chosen to just replace the external GPS given that choice.

Just for the folks that aren't familiar with this product .. the Dynon D1 external antenna is a full GPS receiver and antenna combination in one puck. It spits out GPS solutions via a serial connection. Too bad their receiver couldn't handle the GPS week rollover; all other modern devices do this properly. I'm curious about how old their HW is!

Back