What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring a Heated Pitot AN5812

BSwayze

Well Known Member
I just bought a heated pitot tube, an AN5812 12-volt unit, from a guy here on the VAF forums. I have a couple of questions about wiring it. I've searched the forums, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

10-000812.jpg

He was telling me that I need to get an electronic control module for it, but I've been searching and I can't find any such thing. I even wrote to Aircraft Spruce and asked. They had no information for me. So which is it? Is there an electronic control box of some kind for this unit? Or do I just run a wire to a switch on my panel?

Please note: this is a heated pitot only, not a combination pitot/AOA system. I have a VPX-Pro, by the way, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It's going to be darn near impossible to provide advice unless the manufacturer is known or you find somebody who has installed the model before.

It could be as simple as just wiring it with a switch. It may require a module like the one person recommended. Since it appears to be a certified pitot, it may also require 28v. To many may be's...........

Thank you, Bob. This is a model number:
heated Pitot Tube, part number AN5812-12
It's a 12-volt system. The same one Aircraft Spruce sells, pictured here. When I get over to the hangar, I can get a detailed picture of the numbers, etc. stamped into the side of it.

You have the connector, it's the grey thing sticking up in the middle of the mount. It should just pull off two pins.

If it's a standard pitot, no control module should be needed, just connect 12V to via the connector it like the one in my certified Tiger.

10 amp fuse or breaker. Single pole single throw switch such as B&C 700 or better. 14Ga wire and local ground on the wing will do just fine for the 5812-12.

Back