What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avery pneumatic cleco gun

NovaBandit

Well Known Member
I just got my Avery pneumatic cleco gun yesterday just in time to put a bunch of clecos in my rudder skins. It took a little getting used to but after a bit, I really like it.

I made a quick video demo of using the gun to move a bunch of clecos and put it on my build blog at http://www.edandcolleen.com/?p=286

Good pirep on the avery cleco gun

Thanks for the report Ed, as well as the video. If a picture is worth 1,000 words, then a video must be worth 10,000! It really helps to see how the whole process works.
Thanks!

Who sells one?

After reading a post referencing a pneumatic cleco gun, I googled around but didn't find anything now that Avery is not selling them. Anyone know of a source for a pneumatic cleco gun for a reasonable cost?

They're pretty simple pneumatic tools. I would find the cheapest one you can get your hands on. I use mine (Pan American) all the time. Just keep it oiled nicely and it can be a real time saver.

They're pretty simple pneumatic tools. I would find the cheapest one you can get your hands on. I use mine (Pan American) all the time. Just keep it oiled nicely and it can be a real time saver.

I just got the Pan-American Cleco gun and used it today. Ran it at first 90 psi then at 100 psi. In both cases it still took 5 to 10 or more seconds to charge. I don?t think it?s the compressor - 22 gallon.

Except when I was skinning the wings, where it came in handy, I haven't bothered with mine. Even on the fuselage skins. It's just one of those tools that really has limited use.

Bear in mind that I'm building a slow-build RV-3B and the skins go on and come off perhaps more than they might for another model. On the other hand, they're smaller.

Dave

I just got the Pan-American Cleco gun and used it today. Ran it at first 90 psi then at 100 psi. In both cases it still took 5 to 10 or more seconds to charge. I don?t think it?s the compressor - 22 gallon.

Yours has an issue. Probably something restricting the inlet. My cleco gun takes less than 1/10th of a second to fully cycle. I would make sure there isn't any teflon tape or swarf in there.

And yeah they're fantastic. Not really so great for putting in the first few clecos but when you need to install a dozen or more or move lots of them around to final drill it really shines.

Back