- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2019, 12:03 PM

Default External Antenna for Handheld NAV/COM

Upgrading panel to IFR with Garmin 650 but want an emergency NAV. I was going to use a handheld Yaesu because I like the thought of a third emergency COM if the whole panel died, but the reception is marginal with the rubber ducky. Worked well in terminal area but marginal outside 15-20NM.

Looking to install external antenna (maybe Archer?) but not sure what to get since the Yaesu receives both COM/NAV/LOC/GS. My initial thought was it's an emergency I would rather have an antenna tuned for NAV but alternatively you could have one tuned for COM since NAV reception is not as sensitive.

I know very little about radio theory so I need some help. Thanks!
RV-9A N904DC

Last edited by avrojockey : 10-22-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:32 PM

I put an intermediate connection in the antenna cable for the #2 radio and store it using Velcro in front of the pilot. If needed, I can retrieve the cable, disconnect from the #2 radio, and connect directly to the hand-held. That way, the hand-held has an external antenna and reception both directions is great.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:48 PM

Use the same wingtip VOR antenna for the hand held. The antenna tune is close enough to work for comm for this backup function. You just need a way to swap the feed - or put a stand alone second wingtip Comm or VOR antenna in the other wing.

Carl
Old 10-22-2019, 02:15 PM

I would tip the Archer - ground leg as high as possible, parallel radiating element as low as possible - to help with the fact that ATC com antennas are vertically polarized. Wonít hurt nav reception much.
But what I really would do is nothing. If your handheld functions within 10 miles of an airport, thatís all you need. Assuming the airport has an ILS. Or use an iPad or similar with WingX or similar, to get close.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 PM

Default Icom antenna switch box

I had one of these in all of my planes. No need for another antenna. Aircraft Spruce and other have these.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MED View Post
I put an intermediate connection in the antenna cable for the #2 radio and store it using Velcro in front of the pilot. If needed, I can retrieve the cable, disconnect from the #2 radio, and connect directly to the hand-held. That way, the hand-held has an external antenna and reception both directions is great.
I did the same.

Simplicity is the art in design.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 10-22-2019, 06:48 PM

If you are going to use a handheld as your backup, I would recommend putting an Archer antenna in the one wingtip and mount your handheld to the panel so it is always charged and always connected. That way, you are messing around with antennas when you are already stressed from the power outage.

One other option is to add a backup battery just for one comm radios. If you do that, set it up so that the battery is always being charged and it takes a simple switch to drop ship's power and power the radio from your battery.

All that said, remember, you don't need a comm radio as when flying under IFR conditions, there are procedures for handling radio failures.

If you are VFR, you can land short and call ahead. Heck, if you have Bluetooth to your phone, you can fly low and call the tower on your cell phone.

Good luck!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-22-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
If you are going to use a handheld as your backup, I would recommend putting an Archer antenna in the one wingtip and mount your handheld to the panel so it is always charged and always connected. That way, you are messing around with antennas when you are already stressed from the power outage.

One other option is to add a backup battery just for one comm radios. If you do that, set it up so that the battery is always being charged and it takes a simple switch to drop ship's power and power the radio from your battery.

All that said, remember, you don't need a comm radio as when flying under IFR conditions, there are procedures for handling radio failures.

If you are VFR, you can land short and call ahead. Heck, if you have Bluetooth to your phone, you can fly low and call the tower on your cell phone.

Good luck!
the stress is lower if you have back up steam gauges.

Simplicity is the art in design.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 10-22-2019, 10:06 PM

Default Slight thread drift

[ Heck, if you have Bluetooth to your phone, you can fly low and call the tower on your cell phone.

[/quote]

Wondering how one might find tower telephone numbers for unfamiliar airfields while airborne. I had no idea this was possible. I can't even find the number for our local airport.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF
Old 10-23-2019, 12:15 AM

[/quote]

Wondering how one might find tower telephone numbers for unfamiliar airfields while airborne. I had no idea this was possible. I can't even find the number for our local airport.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF[/quote]

Any good program like iFLY will give you this information by touching the airport on the screen.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2019 =VAF= Dues PAID