VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-10-2019, 07:47 AM

I personally don't really see the point in fitting the wings and then just taking them off. Seems like a bit of wasted time. I just plan on doing the fitting towards the end of the build and call it good. Many a builders have followed this plan as well.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 10-10-2019, 12:55 PM

Default They have to come off at least once anyway

The wings need to be fit and the rear spar aligned and drilled. Then the bottom flange of fusealage marked and drilled. Then they have to come back off to install nutplates @ the bottom inboard part of the wing and counter sink(dimple) the flange on the fusealage. If you remember everything the first time you can get by with only removing them once. I only did the rear spar hole the first time so I had to refit them to mark and drill the fusealage flange holes. I would also do the front tank to fusealage bracket as well.
N17BJ
RV-7 Tip Up slow build
200HP IO-360-A1B
Hartzell CS
Working on wiring and Fw Fwd
Got my RV-7 tail kit for X-mas 2012
Guess the Wife's on board!!
Dues paid 3/11/2019

Last edited by MeAndMyToys : 10-10-2019 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Add that counter sink = dimple on mine
Old 10-15-2019, 04:10 PM

Thumbs up Getting Ready to Fit The Wings

I decided to go ahead and fit the wings now and deal with the center section width issues sooner rather than later.

So I'm doing all the jobs needed to get ready for a wing fit. One of the jobs was to make some drift pins out of hardware store bolts.

Well I tried to test fit a pin just to see how the holes line up and I ran into this.

The pin doesn't seem to be even close to lining up on the aft side. All the holes are some variation of this. It's as if the center section is out of register.

Granted the drift pins are not greased yet but

Am I being to anal and just need to get a big hammer or do I have a problem

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017 (sans fiberglass)
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Donated for 2019 and so should you
Old 10-15-2019, 04:25 PM

Default Center section

Is this a QB? If so, I think a call to Vans is in order. Not sure what they would suggest but there are too many QC issues.
Ideally, the two Center Sections are bolted together with a set of spacers matched to the wing spar dimension plus about .005". The spacers hold alignment both in width and hole alignment. They stay there till the center section is completely riveted. If it's an "A" model, you also have two gear towers that may not bolt into place.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Is this a QB? If so, I think a call to Vans is in order. Not sure what they would suggest but there are too many QC issues.
Ideally, the two Center Sections are bolted together with a set of spacers matched to the wing spar dimension plus about .005". The spacers hold alignment both in width and hole alignment. They stay there till the center section is completely riveted. If it's an "A" model, you also have two gear towers that may not bolt into place.
Yes, this is a QB tail dragger fuselage.

If I had to do it over again, I WOULD NOT buy a QB.
I could easily go on a rant about all the problems I've had with QBs but I'll leave that for later

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Old 10-15-2019, 05:54 PM

That is going to be hard to fix! Even with a new counter section, the rivet holes are not going to line up with the fuselage bottom skins. There will probably be other problems too. It will be interesting to hear what Vans has to say.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Have you tried to put the wings in and try it? I suspect this is what VANS may want to see.
For my RV7A, there was no rivet holes at the bottom skin to line up, those were match drilled manually by drawing lines on thru the wings rivet holes and then extended to the bottom skin to match drill. So no mismatch will be there if it is still the same process.
Dues paid
Old 10-15-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Have you tried to put the wings in and try it? I suspect this is what VANS may want to see.
......<snip>.
I talked to Gus at Van's this afternoon. He said it was not uncommon for the drift pins to be slightly out of alignment without the wing spars to help line things up. LPF-3 and some tapping with a hammer after the wing spars are inserted was his advice.

I also talked to him about the main topic of this thread, i.e. the center section is narrower than the spars.
A previous Van's support tech said use an axe handle to pry apart the center section while inserting the wing spars
Gus confirmed this advice was valid. BUT when I told him I planned on using some ⅜" all thread with nuts and wide area washers to go in the 7/16" holes in-between the center section to spread the sections apart, he thought that was a really good idea.

I'll post some photos when I get that made up.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Old 10-15-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleming View Post
I talked to Gus at Van's this afternoon. He said it was not uncommon for the drift pins to be slightly out of alignment without the wing spars to help line things up. LPF-3 and some tapping with a hammer after the wing spars are inserted was his advice.

I also talked to him about the main topic of this thread, i.e. the center section is narrower than the spars.
A previous Van's support tech said use an axe handle to pry apart the center section while inserting the wing spars
Gus confirmed this advice was valid. BUT when I told him I planned on using some ⅜" all thread with nuts and wide area washers to go in the 7/16" holes in-between the center section to spread the sections apart, he thought that was a really good idea.

I'll post some photos when I get that made up.
I have had the best and soundest advise from Gus, his words carry a lot of logic and weight with me.
Best of luck, this is exciting times.
Dues paid
Old 10-15-2019, 08:56 PM

Default Center section

Glad you got a fix. That 3/8" All Thread is bloody brilliant.
Keep us posted.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.