What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6A spar bolts

There are different bolts in different locations... You'll have to specify which bolt.

If you look on the plans I believe it does specify the recommended bolt for each position.

Sheet 15 calls out the NAS bolts, but you're right, it does not specify the length on the AN bolts. Probably because they vary depending on which hole on the spar is being populated.

Sheet 40 calls out the AN bolts holding the elevator/aileron control mixing assembly.
Sheet 59 calls out the AN bolts holding the gear legs (on the -6A).

When I attached the wings on my -6A sixteen years ago, I made a scale drawing to help me get the right bolts in the right locations with all the required brackets and flanged parts as well as the 4 steel spar splice plates installed. I pulled the information from 2 or 3 different construction drawing sheets. It would have been nice if all the attach hardware was in one location, but that was not the case.

There are a total of 76 bolts that hold all this stuff together. So here is what my sketch shows:
NAS 1306-30
NAS 1304-30
AN3-15A
AN3-16A
AN3-17A
AN4-16A
Plus the washers and nuts.

Thanks for the info. The bots that go through the steel splice plates are the ones I’m interested in. What is the AN number for those bolts. Thanks again for the great response!

When I attached the wings on my -6A sixteen years ago, I made a scale drawing to help me get the right bolts in the right locations with all the required brackets and flanged parts as well as the 4 steel spar splice plates installed. I pulled the information from 2 or 3 different construction drawing sheets. It would have been nice if all the attach hardware was in one location, but that was not the case.

There are a total of 76 bolts that hold all this stuff together. So here is what my sketch shows:

That would be 80 if you include the AN5 bolts in the rear spar attach and the fuel tank support bolts.!

NAS 1306-30
NAS 1304-30
AN3-15A
AN3-16A
AN3-17A
AN4-16A

The splice plate bolts are the NAS bolts. The NAS1304 is the smaller diameter that goes on the ends of each plate, I.e. 4each. The 1306 is for all the other holes in the plates.

Thanks for the info. The bots that go through the steel splice plates are the ones I?m interested in. What is the AN number for those bolts. Thanks again for the great response!

Sheet 15 of the plans lists them. They're not AN bolts, but NAS bolts.

Back