VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-31-2019, 08:56 AM

Did anyone ask about making a tapered wing option?
Old 07-31-2019, 10:50 AM

I know there is no market for this, but the kit that would excite me is an all metal Extra capable of +/- 10g, tapered wing with a symmetrical airfoil, 330 hp, etc. I know, Im dreaming!
Old 07-31-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Squaz View Post
I know there is no market for this, but the kit that would excite me is an all metal Extra capable of +/- 10g, tapered wing with a symmetrical airfoil, 330 hp, etc. I know, Im dreaming!
Me too - not sure if we'll ever get there from Vans, but it would definitely have my interest.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:14 AM

If anything got me to build another plane it would be a 6 place or heavy 4 place(1400lbs usable). Easy of entry would be a big plus. You have to have pretty agile passengers to get them in and out of 2 place RV, cuts out hauling older parents and so on. I thought about building a velocity xl but the payload is still not that good with full fuel to justify it.

I am very tempted to get a PA32 to supplement my RV9A maybe with a partner if I could find one. I would love a P206 but it is 180K for a 30 year old plane.

It is funny as you build and fly how your thoughts change on what your ideal plane is and what your needs are.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssturges View Post
It is funny as you build and fly how your thoughts change on what your ideal plane is and what your needs are.
An amphibious Cessna Caravan. Of course Id have to have a crazy rich aunt will it to me with enough $$$$ to operate it. Fortunately, my aunts are all crazy, so Im halfway there!
KCHD AZ
__|__
*>O-(_)-O<*
Old 07-31-2019, 12:03 PM

I understand when Van's says go build a 14 when you want a simpler 7.
Also I understand that there's no real need for a smaller 10.

So maybe the 16 is 8x2? A new 8?
But honestly, are there people unhappy with their 8s? Not really.
So probably the 16 is not a new 8.

What's left?
High wings. On the market there are a lot of high wings of good quality. Even TAF just revealed a high wing Sling TSi. There's not really a market niche to be filled.

Trainer planes for the PPL? At least here in Germany: Forget it! The only chance is when the experimental regulation and certification would move from the German institutions to the EASA. And there's no sign this will happen!

But when I look around in the experimental scene here in Germany and talk with other builders, often you get this response: "Oh you build an RV? That's too expensive for me!"
So my guess is Van's tries to reduce the build costs and TCO of their planes. This is possible even without reducing the margin on Van's side! How so? Remove the Lycomings! Design the planes for cheaper engines with less fuel consumption.
I think we will see more Rotax engines and fixed pitch props in new Van's models!
So where to start?
I guess it's gonna be a Rotax 8! They want to show that Rotax can be fun! Like Tesla did with their first models, the Roadster and the Model S. And it is possible! Just look at the Blackshape Prime!

Probably this is not what most of the builders in this forum want to hear.
But hey, you're building a great plane! Why not grow the community with new builders who couldn't afford an RV until now?

Malte

Last edited by mjanduda : 07-31-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanduda View Post
High wings. On the market there are a lot of high wings of good quality. Even TAF just revealed a high wing Sling TSi. There's not really a market niche to be filled.
I disagree. If you're looking for the ease of entry that comes with a high wing, you've got lots of options, but just about all of them struggle to see anything north of 130 knots and several of them will burn in the 10 gph range trying to do it.

The 14 is a wonderful plane. But it ain't easy to get in and out of if you've got bad joints. TAF recognizes that void in the market and I suspect they'll do well with their new offering. But I also suspect a high wing/2-seat/150kt/8gph Vans offering would sell better.
Need a wing kit
Old 07-31-2019, 01:35 PM

BIPLANE!!!!!

The RV 16 has to be!!. I mean everyone loves the -8, well 2 x 8 = 16 sooooo.... it must be a two winged -8 or BIPLANE!!!

YEAH!!!!
N189PT- Christen Eagle II
N627DG (reserved)- RV10 in the making
www.marksfamilyrv10.wordpress.com
Old 07-31-2019, 02:10 PM

Well, looking at prices of a new Rotax doesnt spell cheaper to me.

I was afraid when I saw a sale on the RV-8 fuse that Vans was going to announce an update to that plane instead of my hope of an update to the 9. There is certainly nothing wrong with that but...

Someone was right in saying that the high wings just dont cruise at relative RV speeds. There are lots of contenders to that platform. Of course no one makes a kit plane like Vans so who knows?

A Rotax RV-8 would be interesting, but here in the states were about to lose the arbitrary weight restrictions of the LSA aircraft (among other restrictions). Youd be hard pressed to put a Rotax in anything over current LSA and expect to safely get off the ground, especially out here in the high density altitudes of the mountain southwest. Im not sure Id want to bank on a new LSA type of aircraft until I knew more where the FAA was headed.

One thing is for sure, itll be fun guessing what is coming and how far the evolution of kit aircraft is going, until Vans shows us! Although the thought of jumping up and down on a welded canopy bar to get it to fit, just doesnt seem right.

Bob

Subscription Paid for 2019

Home is where the hanger is...
Old 07-31-2019, 02:47 PM

Default Affordable Flying

My vote would have to be for something affordable. Call it the Corvette index. Create something of Vans quality that can compare in price to the quintessential American midlife-crises toy and you'll sell tons of them. $60k range-ish.

The world is not full of Doctors and Lawyers that can afford a $100k+ hobby, having a Vans for the everyday consumer would be awesome and really help the industry as a whole.

The art to flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.