2018 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a finished 2018, Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 10-19-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonV View Post
Hi Ross,

The Design1 Programmer looks great and I am happy you choose this form factor for all the reasons you gave in your post above.

I hope the programmer LED ‘s A/B are extinguished when NOT in the programmer mode and that you make the Fault LED red. Just a small point, I noticed that the bezel on the right is bigger than on the left, I think it would be more beautiful when they are equal. Where will the Mixture knob be?

I know I am way too late to give input for the new EM-6, but here goes anyway.
I would love to see the following features:
Ability to program 3 different ignition/fuel maps, to be chosen via the LOP button.
MAX PWR, the ignition/fuel maps are programmed to give maximum power on the ROP side, staying just outside the red box, but without wasting any more fuel then necessary.
ECON, the ignition/fuel maps are programmed to give “maximum” power on the LOP side, staying just outside the red box. This power is arbitrarily chosen, but I would choose just below LOP, for instance 25 degrees LOP, resulting in a relatively low speed loss.
ECON +, the ignition/fuel maps are programmed to give the maximum fuel efficiency. This power is also arbitrarily chosen, for instance 75 degrees LOP, resulting in minimum fuel flow, but accepting a much bigger speed loss.
Both Econ settings would be programmed with ROP values above 75% power and/or the ECU would automatically switch to the MAX PWR map when it sees power settings above 75%. This feature would make it literally foolproof, so you always have max power ROP available for take off and go around. Of course the LOP LED on the programmer should follow this auto switching.
Ability to have ”automatic” cylinder fuel trim for all power settings. During test flights we find what individual fuel trim is needed to have the EGT’s peak at the same time for several MAP and RPM combinations. This information is then “overlaid” on the ignition/fuel map so we get automatic individual fuel trim at these MAP/RPM settings with an interpolation between these points.

The new programmer will sit in a high visibility spot, so when not in program mode it can be used as an annunciator. It can show for instance the chosen power mode MAX PWR, ECON or ECON + and % power and AFR. When there is an anomaly this will be replaced by for instance ECU1 or ECU2, IGN1 or IGN2, FUEL PRESSURE, BUS1 xx V, or BUS2 xx V. The fault codes should be on a separate page. Ideally the white alphanumerics should change color to red or amber or alternatively the whole screen could change color from blue to amber or red. It is important to have a visible change otherwise it will be very easy to miss.
Also I find it important to see not only the LOP LED illuminated but also the power mode annunciation when LOP is chosen, again because a little LED will be overlooked very easily.
As far as the % power is concerned, I know there is no operational need for it and that often it is not very accurate. But with all the data available to the ECU you should be able to calculate a reasonable number and it is nice to have. As far as AFR is concerned, also no operational need, but it is a very nice indicator of your fuel efficiency. I plan on mostly using unleaded fuel so the Oxygen sensor should survive. Give the users some freedom to decide what they want to see on this page and everybody will be happy.

Gordon
We could turn off the A/B LEDs when a Fault is present, would make it stand out more.

We couldn't get any more traces crossed over past the LCD window to put more buttons on the left. Tried to shrink the height of this as much as possible to fit in the space above the stack. That was job 1. This is a production keypad so that is locked in now. Puts most used buttons closest to the pilot.

Mixture knob is still analog. After evaluation and having a digital knob years ago for one of our automotive clients, we feel analog is the best and quickest way to adjust mixture with EFI. The witness mark gives you immediate visual indication of where it is and in an emergency, nothing is faster than twisting a knob.

There really isn't a need in aircraft for different maps any more than in your car. The ECU can give best efficiency and power at all times, once properly programmed.

The EM-6 will have some new closed loop features for automatic mixture control on unleaded fuel. We don't feel that this can be used with leaded fuel at this time. If you'll use unleaded most of the time, I think you'll like what we plan to do for the closed loop control.

LOP would never be used in the pattern and there is software protection to prevent the extra advance from occurring above a certain MAP.

We'd have to add EGT sensing to do auto leaning outside of a wideband O2. Probably not in the cards within the time window to release this product but could be for the future if we can pull that data from the engine monitor.

We see that throttle angle can play a significant role in which cylinders peak first, even at the same MAP and RPM. It starts becoming more difficult to do this automatically and flawlessly.

We can flash the LCDs for better visibility of the fault codes and there are already 4 gauge modes to look at various parameters. The LCDs only have white alphanumerics.

AFR is already displayed in 2 gauge modes. % power is a good idea but like you say, too many variables to make very accurate. When it doesn't agree with the engine monitor, we'd get the phone call...

We currently have some pages and parameters user configurable and may do more of that on your advice here while keeping the device simple to understand. Too many pages or configurations becomes confusing eventually so there needs to be the proper mix of that we feel.

I know from the last 25 years in this business that we can't make everybody happy, but we do listen to the good ideas from others and if there is a large consensus, we'll work towards that.

Thank you for posting your thoughts here. It's given us a couple more good ideas to ponder.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 436.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 10-21-2019, 08:50 AM

Love the Design 1 - definitely will be going that direction with my airplane as soon as you've got it ready to ship. Keep me on the list and let me know...

Another big plus on the coming closed loop options for unleaded fuel - that's better than 90% of my operation, I'm interested in that.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:18 AM

Very relieved to see that a "standard" size option will be available as well. I do like the narrow stack layout but for all of us who can't redo their panel or don't have that spare space, we'll be able to drop it in the old hole. I like the LCD and buttons, also the LEDs. Closed loop is exciting, as I plan to use MOGAS as well for the majority of flying, at least when I can. I would challenge you to revise the documentation for the EM6. The manuals have a lot of information, but it seems disorganized and segmented. There should be just one big manual for each model with sections for 4cyl, 6 cyl, etc.

Really looking forward to getting mine flying next month and start tuning!
N1017H Reserved
EAA #: 1106970
2019 VAF Dues Paid!
Old 10-21-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majuro15 View Post
Very relieved to see that a "standard" size option will be available as well. I do like the narrow stack layout but for all of us who can't redo their panel or don't have that spare space, we'll be able to drop it in the old hole. I like the LCD and buttons, also the LEDs. Closed loop is exciting, as I plan to use MOGAS as well for the majority of flying, at least when I can. I would challenge you to revise the documentation for the EM6. The manuals have a lot of information, but it seems disorganized and segmented. There should be just one big manual for each model with sections for 4cyl, 6 cyl, etc.

Really looking forward to getting mine flying next month and start tuning!
The EM-6 documentation will be revised extensively.

Glad most people like the new programmer options.

Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 436.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Old 10-21-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Love the Design 1 - definitely will be going that direction with my airplane as soon as you've got it ready to ship. Keep me on the list and let me know...

Another big plus on the coming closed loop options for unleaded fuel - that's better than 90% of my operation, I'm interested in that.
The closed loop stuff will be standard on all EM-6 ECUs.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:36 PM

Default Design1 Programmer

We got a revised face plate back from the machine shop on Friday afternoon and did some test fitting to the prototype PCB. Everything is looking good so far.

You will need about 4 inches from the front panel to any other components forward for the data cables to clear.

We are on track to publish the face dimensions by early next week so folks can proceed with their panels.

Production PCBs for these should be on order by the end of that week. We are just making a couple more tweaks and refining some of the new code to operate these.

LCDs for production were ordered Friday as well. Getting excited to get these in production and getting on to Design2 work in earnest.

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 10-26-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:21 AM

Default Display Pic

Here is a photo of the prototype display/ keypad/ front bezel for the Design1 programmer. The LEDs, color and graphics format is similar to the CPI-2 programmer as we bring all our new products up to a common look and specs.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:31 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

WOW, very nice looking.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-27-2019, 07:06 PM

Thanks Mike.