- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Places To Fly...Things to See...Things to Eat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Default Some Mountain Flying Safety Thoughts

Just a note to think about for those flatlanders without much mountain flying experience. These are just my personal comments, I am not an expert by any means, but I did a lot of mountain flying with the Civil Air Patrol when I lived in Colorado.

We did not fly if the winds at mountain top level were greater than 25 knots and we always crossed a ridge at 45 degrees heading to allow for a turnout if we got into a downdraft. Be cognizant of blind canyons with no way out. And don't fly up the center of a canyon, always to the upwind side so you have a maximum turn area available.

Mountain flying is very beautiful. Be aware the weather can change in a heartbeat. Especially afternoon thunderstorms.
DFW TX
Dues Paid
Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 AM

Default sounds like another call for performance charts!

This reminds me of a previous thread....admonishions to 'be careful' and 'know your performance' are true and sound......but how many of us have done the flight test regimen to develop proper DA charts or calculations?
less than 1% I'd guess.

any test pilots (like Kevin Horton) out there, that can comment?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM

This is good info for flat landers like me, I'm not so worried about the airport as much as having the safest route in and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taildrgr View Post
Just a note to think about for those flatlanders without much mountain flying experience. These are just my personal comments, I am not an expert by any means, but I did a lot of mountain flying with the Civil Air Patrol when I lived in Colorado.

We did not fly if the winds at mountain top level were greater than 25 knots and we always crossed a ridge at 45 degrees heading to allow for a turnout if we got into a downdraft. Be cognizant of blind canyons with no way out. And don't fly up the center of a canyon, always to the upwind side so you have a maximum turn area available.

Mountain flying is very beautiful. Be aware the weather can change in a heartbeat. Especially afternoon thunderstorms.
RV-10 Purchased flying.. Panel upgrade complete.
G3X/Dynon/TT
All new interior complete.
Flyin like a dream.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:05 PM

Default Lean for Takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taildrgr View Post

And don't forget your leaning procedures for high altitude takeoff.
Falcon Flight
Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 PM

Default "Updraft" side of canyon, vice "Upwind"

I'm not a mountain flyer, so take this with a grain of salt (i.e. get a qualified instructor!)

The reasoning behind "...don't fly up the center of a canyon, always to the upwind side so you have a maximum turn area available..." was not immediately obvious to me. This illustration makes it appear one should fly on the updraft (typically downwind) side of a canyon.

http://www.mountainflying.com/Pages/...es/canyon4.jpg

While everything on the Interwebs is by definition true mountain flying may be an addition to the list of things (aerobatics, formation flying) you don't want to learn online...
RV10 sold (miss that one too!)
RV-14A build underway
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM

Thank you for correcting my error in terminology. By upwind I meant the side of the canyon that the wind is blowing you up over the ridge. You don't want to be on the side with the downdraft or it could push you into the mountainside. I see that I may have confused people with that error. I should have explained it better.

Always a good idea to check and verify information.
DFW TX
Dues Paid
Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 PM

Don't be afraid of Leadville. Yes it is high, but I don't think any of the RVs would have trouble getting in and out. "Fly your airspeed" is great advice, but you don't need to worry about box canyons and the like. The runway sits in the middle of a wide, flat valley. Plenty of room to fly a normal pattern. If you are departing to the north/northeast you may need to make one circle over the field to gain enough altitude to clear that ridge. Departing other directions you probably wont need to circle, as those ridges are further out.

If you go into town, I recommend the Golden Burro. Great cinnamon rolls the size of hubcaps.

If you want a real thrill, try the field at Lake City. It is a combination landing strip/cow pasture. Short, full of rocks, tall pines at one end and a cliff at the other. It is best if you take someone else's plane.

Jim Berry
RV-10
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N15JB View Post
If you want a real thrill, try the field at Lake City. It is a combination landing strip/cow pasture. Short, full of rocks, tall pines at one end and a cliff at the other. It is best if you take someone else's plane.

Jim Berry
RV-10
That is GOOD advice Jim!
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N15JB View Post

Jim Berry
RV-10
... and the identifier is ...?

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
... and the identifier is ...?
google it.........
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - under major repair from hurricane damage
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg