What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vote for my paint job

Which do you like better?

• Option A - [img]https://www.screencast.com/t/TXead0Drk[/img]

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Option B - [img]https://www.screencast.com/t/FuI7GsJ6f9fo[/img]

Votes: 52 78.8%

• Total voters

jahoosafat

Hi - I'm working with Jonathan at Plane Schemer on a new paint design for my RV-10. I thought I'd narrowed the options down to my favorite, but then Jonathan came back with a different twist on my final choice. For kicks, I thought I'd see what other RV owners like better. Please vote. Your opinion may determine my choice ... or it may be completely irrelevant to my final choice.

Option A - https://www.screencast.com/t/TXead0Drk
Option B - https://www.screencast.com/t/FuI7GsJ6f9fo

Cheers,
Jeff

Since you asked, I'd go with option B.

In option A (at least in the rendering), the silhouette of that orange stinger/rudder looks a little too angular compared to the sweeping curves everywhere else.

Either one

Both options are excellent in my eye but if forced to choose, I think that the lines flow better in 'B'. Good luck!

Very nice. One caution, when a design pattern crosses control surfaces, like ailerons and elevator, it can be challenging for your painter to get that right. I see it done all the time with pleasing results, just be aware of the added complexity.
Also, where your lines carry over the empennage fairing, this takes a really good eye to get that taped right. Again, very doable, it just takes a lot of fiddling as that line "moves around" depending on your viewing angle and will look good from all angles only if it is done well.

Good luck.

I like both. They?re very similar. One comment: be careful how elaborate you paint your wheel skirts. My experience taught me is that sometime during your ownership you?ll be replacing at least one skirt (nose wheel most likely). The more elaborate the scheme the more difficult and expensive the replacement skirt will be.

SNIP... be careful how elaborate you paint your wheel skirts. My experience taught me is that sometime during your ownership you?ll be replacing at least one skirt (nose wheel most likely). The more elaborate the scheme the more difficult and expensive the replacement skirt will be.

+1. Wheel pants one color make down the road maintenance SO much easier.

Carl

I like both. They?re very similar. One comment: be careful how elaborate you paint your wheel skirts. My experience taught me is that sometime during your ownership you?ll be replacing at least one skirt (nose wheel most likely). The more elaborate the scheme the more difficult and expensive the replacement skirt will be.

I am about to paint my wheelpants and I have been told this many times. I will probably just make them white.

One comment: be careful how elaborate you paint your wheel skirts. My experience taught me is that sometime during your ownership you?ll be replacing at least one skirt (nose wheel most likely). The more elaborate the scheme the more difficult and expensive the replacement skirt will be.

Agree completely, and further suggest that no matter what you do with the pants, the bottom half should be a Krylon (or Rustoleum) color for easy repairs.... with three sets of low-slung RV wheel pants to maintain, I am glad we did this!

Personally, I'm in favor of functional color schemes:
* Make the plane as visible air to air as possible, recognizing that it's contrast (darkness and brightness) that makes the plane visible against a background, not color;
* Same for ground to ground;
* And if you have a forced landing, you want the plane to be visible air to ground -- on water, snow, forest, whatever -- so they can find you more easily.

I once was watching a deep maroon plane fly over a dark green background, and the lack of contrast made it hard to see -- color had little to do with it.

Also consider that a light color on the fuel tanks can help minimize fuel dripping out when the plane is in the sun.

Ed

Both look good.

Have him make the two vertical fiberglass sections between the windows the same color as the plexiglass. That makes the windshield look like it wraps all the way to the baggage compartment.

Also, make your wheel pants one color. They will get cracked over time and need repair. It is much easier if they are only one color.

They're both gorgeous. I like the orange with the gray. I'd prefer B because I like the extended white area behind the wing. I'd do solid white wheel pants all around for the repair reasons others have suggested. Even though white shows the dirt, I think it would look sweet!

Back