What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight and Balance again

N804RV

Well Known Member
I'm looking for someone that built a -8 with a parallel valve O/IO-360 and fixed pitch prop that would be willing to share their W&B data with me.

I did a search of the site and didn't really see what I was looking for.

My questions are:

1) how much the SkyDesigns Aluminum landing gear will affect CG.

2) about where CG will fall with LiPo4 vs AGM battery and/or FWD/Aft location

My goal for the aircraft is to keep it light, and keep the CG optimum.

I have a wood prop and standard battery up front. My plane is tail heavy.

If your plane is some how nose heavy, it's easy to fix with ballast in the baggage compartment. If its tail heavy there isn't much you can do about it.

I vote keep the weight up front as much as you can if you plan on carrying passengers and baggage.

If you paint the plane it will tend to move the cg rearward as most of the paint goes behind the cg.

If your plane is some how nose heavy, it's easy to fix with ballast in the baggage compartment. If its tail heavy there isn't much you can do about it.

I vote keep the weight up front as much as you can if you plan on carrying passengers and baggage.

If you paint the plane it will tend to move the cg rearward as most of the paint goes behind the cg.

I don't understand how your -8 is tail heavy in the configuration as you describe. Mine is built light but with a metal Sensenich FP prop and Odessey battery on the firewall and I think it is too nose heavy solo even with 25# of ballast in the aft baggage compartment. The heavy stick pressure is not where I would like it especially when compared to my RV-4 which I thought was perfect. I would think yours with the wood prop would be near perfect as well.

I don't understand how your -8 is tail heavy in the configuration as you describe. Mine is built light but with a metal Sensenich FP prop and Odessey battery on the firewall and I think it is too nose heavy solo even with 25# of ballast in the aft baggage compartment. The heavy stick pressure is not where I would like it especially when compared to my RV-4 which I thought was perfect. I would think yours with the wood prop would be near perfect as well.

Thank you!

Food for thought. And, a good argument for not painting till the initial W&B is sorted out.

I built my RV8 light so thought this might be helpful.

Build summary - O360, 3 blade Catto prop, PC680 mounted on the firewall, Grove airfoil gear, VFR avionics (GRT Sport EX, tablet for nav, Sandia transponder, single Garmin radio, Uavionix ADSB in/out), no autopilot.

Empty weight: 1,024 lbs (includes all paint, fairings, even fire extinguisher)
CG: 78.04"

I was concerned about aft CG as well and was careful not to add weight behind the wings. Minimal avionics aft of the baggage area (Uavionix ADSB, ELT) and no exterior paint aft of the wing. I hate polishing but that is the price to pay.

I am quite happy with the CG and performance.

I built my RV8 light so thought this might be helpful.

Build summary - O360, 3 blade Catto prop, PC680 mounted on the firewall, Grove airfoil gear, VFR avionics (GRT Sport EX, tablet for nav, Sandia transponder, single Garmin radio, Uavionix ADSB in/out), no autopilot.

Empty weight: 1,024 lbs (includes all paint, fairings, even fire extinguisher)
CG: 78.04"

I was concerned about aft CG as well and was careful not to add weight behind the wings. Minimal avionics aft of the baggage area (Uavionix ADSB, ELT) and no exterior paint aft of the wing. I hate polishing but that is the price to pay.

I am quite happy with the CG and performance.

Sounds very cool! Can I see pictures?

Back