What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SIRS Compass Key Hack

VCPwayne

I needed to do a compass alignment in my RV9A and the key with the triangular recess was nowhere to be found. So I made one that worked great. I had a small round paintbrush with a tapered plastic handle that I cut off at the diameter of the adjustment hole in the compass. I took a T-10 Torx bit and heated the tip with a heat gun, although a torch would work just as well, and inserted the hot tip into end of the handle. I left it in the plastic handle and dribbled ice water on it to cool it quickly. Pulled the Torx bit out and have a tool that pushes over the triangular adjustment screws that is non magnetic. Cost, about a $1...

If I'm reading this correctly, you used the Torx bit to create a serrated surface to engage the SIRS adjustment screws. Who would have thought a multi-point bit would have provided enough grip strength on those little triangular screws.

Curses upon SIRS for using these screws. I keep my "very expensive" SIRS adjustment tool on a lanyard and have that combination taped to the underside of the lid of my toolbox. No way I'm gonna lose that baby. If I do, I'm definitely going to give your method a try!

If I'm reading this correctly, you used the Torx bit to create a serrated surface to engage the SIRS adjustment screws. Who would have thought a multi-point bit would have provided enough grip strength on those little triangular screws.

Curses upon SIRS for using these screws. I keep my "very expensive" SIRS adjustment tool on a lanyard and have that combination taped to the underside of the lid of my toolbox. No way I'm gonna lose that baby. If I do, I'm definitely going to give your method a try!

The Torx is a 6 point and the triangle fit very nicely into the recess made by the bit. Worked perfectly adjusting my compass on Saturday

Back