- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-21-2019, 09:04 AM

isopropyl alcohol

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 07-21-2019, 09:57 AM

Had a similar experience. Lightened the stain a little with aviation Simple Green and 100LL but it took acetone to remove it completely. No effect on Sherwin Williams Acryglo paint.
RV-8 IO375, Hartzell CS, dual PMags.
2019 Donation In
Old 07-21-2019, 11:07 AM

Try mineral spirits. It shouldn't harm the paint. Wipe it on, leave it wet for a minute or so, then try and wipe it off with a rag and some more mineral spirits.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWZ View Post
First round try simple green for aircraft. It wonít take all of that stain out but will make it fade. Iíve had some luck with Castrol super clean but be careful with it. Wear gloves and donít let it sit on the paint very long. Follow up immediately with a water rinse. Lastly no one seems to believe it but that will fade away on its own after a few months (well after you clean it up a bit). Exact thing happened to me a few years ago (also a white wing). I was talking to a paint shop about a cut and blend but decided to wait until flying season was over before doing it. By the end of the summer the stain was gone all on its own.
Procrastination saved me once again...
The photo in my first post was after having tried fuel, Aircraft Simple Green, and Wash Wax All. None of the 3 did much, though I let each only sit on the surface of 30 seconds or so.

I'll report back after having tried a fuel "soak" and UV exposure. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWZ View Post
....By the end of the summer the stain was gone all on its own.
Procrastination saved me once again...
I noticed this same thing years ago. I had stains under the wing near a leaky fuel quick-drain. I replaced the quick-drain. A few weeks later the stains were gone through no effort of my own. I think they will gradually evaporate or fade on their own. Not sure how long it will take.

Chris
Lycoming O-360-A1A, Hartzell CS
52F (Northwest Regional, TX)
Old 07-21-2019, 02:37 PM

The avgas fuel itself is one of the best way to clean the stain.
Dues paid
Old 07-21-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Pichon View Post
The photo in my first post was after having tried fuel, Aircraft Simple Green, and Wash Wax All. None of the 3 did much, though I let each only sit on the surface of 30 seconds or so.

I'll report back after having tried a fuel "soak" and UV exposure. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Same thing happened to mine 4 yrs ago but not near as bad as yours (sorry). None of the suggestions mentioned worked however I do believe the sun is having some effect as the stain is slowly fading. The only thing I have not tried is rubbing compound.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:07 PM

I had a weeping rivet with a big blue stain and I did not realize I had a leak for ages. Mouse milk with one wipe removes all traces of the stain. It's absolute magic ! Try it and see. I was doing my annual and oiling my exhaust pipe fittings with a rag with mouse milk and just wiped the area as that is what I had in my hand and low and behold. That's how i discovered it.

Last edited by sirlegin : 07-21-2019 at 08:11 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-07-2019, 03:10 PM

Default Fuel stain removal - Update

Hi All,

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm trying as many as possible, but so far, no luck. Here's a summary of what I have tried to date:
  • Simple Green for Aircraft - No discernible effect
  • 100LL wipe - No discernible effect
  • Wash Wax All - No discernible effect
  • 100LL soak (left 2 paper towels saturated with fuel on the tank for 10 min. Reapplied fuel as necessary to replace evaporated fuel.) - No discernible effect.
  • Acetone - No discernible effect

All solvents tested were applied with clean white rag. I looked for some (any) sign of blue dye transfer. Nothing tested showed any dye.

I have not yet tried these:
  • Brake Cleaner - This one scares me a bit as I am concerned it may damage the paint
  • Isopropyl Alcohol - If acetone had no effect, I'm skeptical that alcohol would be different
  • Mineral Spirits -
  • Mouse Milk - I plan to try this one, but am not hopeful as this is a penetrating oil rather than a solvent
  • Rubbing Compound - They guy who painted my aircraft and a tech rep for Imron (paint on my plane) both recommended rubbing compound. I plan to give this a try, too.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the help.

Dean
Old 08-07-2019, 07:54 PM

Plain white GoJo hand cleaner (w/lanolin).
Amazing stuff, not harmful and easy on the hands.
Slather it on, let it sit 10 minutes or so, wipe off.

George