What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hand-held radio recommendations

Mark33

Well Known Member
I?m thinking about picking up a hand-held radio while I?m at S-n-F. Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Mark

I can't speak to their current reputation, but I've had my ICOM IC-A5 for around 20 years and have no complaints.

With the adapter and PTT I've used it with a headset first gliders and now in my Champ. I'll carry it in my -8. People have always commented that it sounds pretty good. Loud and Clear.

And that with a very inexpensive headset. Both glider and Champ use external antennas. But on the field with the rubber-ducky it works fine around the airport.

At home I use it all the time for the WX. Programming is tedious and requires the manual, but once programmed switching between frequencies is a breeze.

I did replace the battery with a better one and got a quick charger at the same time.

Last edited:
I have a Sporty's SP-400 and an iCom IC-A5. Now, I have a Yaesu FTA-550. It is by far my favorite! If you use the cigarette ligther adapter in your aircraft, make sure you use the ferrite core around the cable per instructions.

Also, I absolutely cannot use USB power bricks anywhere near it. The noise will break the squelch on the handheld unless you turn adjust it all the way up.

I?m thinking about picking up a hand-held radio while I?m at S-n-F. Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Mark

No specific recommendations but if I were buying a hand-held for a back-up to carry in the plane, I would choose a name brand with a lithium battery. I wouldn't want all of the frills (such as vor or ILS rx) they are packing into handhelds today. I would just want a unit that works when I have to squawk 7600.

-Marc

A few months ago I purchased the simplest model of the Rexon radios, to replace an Icom A22. No NAV, but everything I wanted such as lithium bats, BNC connector for antenna, and headphone adapter. I use it primarily for ATIS during preflight, but tower reports good coms. About $155. I'm happy.

Rexon RHP-530

Last edited:
Not a Yaesu fan

I have been very, very unhappy with my Yaesu FTA-550.

(1) The battery status indication on the screen is misleading. I checked mine before one flight, it read "half." I figured I was good to go. But then the radio died when I turned it back on and tried to transmit on it an hour later. And this occurred on the only occasion in my flying career when I actually, truly needed a handheld radio.

(2) I tried to remedy this with the Yaesu lithium ion battery pack and charging cradle. But the radio promptly stopped recognizing that battery was installed (refusing to power up), even though the battery was apparently fine per my voltmeter. AND the radio would only power up with the AA pack if I held the power button while inserting that battery pack -- a trick I had to learn from the interwebs, thanks to a guy who had exactly the same problem.

Not a fan of the Yaesu.

I have a Sporty's SP-400 and an iCom IC-A5. Now, I have a Yaesu FTA-550. It is by far my favorite! If you use the cigarette ligther adapter in your aircraft, make sure you use the ferrite core around the cable per instructions.

Also, I absolutely cannot use USB power bricks anywhere near it. The noise will break the squelch on the handheld unless you turn adjust it all the way up.

I have been very, very unhappy with my Yaesu FTA-550.

(1) The battery status indication on the screen is misleading. I checked mine before one flight, it read "half." I figured I was good to go. But then the radio died when I turned it back on and tried to transmit on it an hour later. And this occurred on the only occasion in my flying career when I actually, truly needed a handheld radio.

(2) I tried to remedy this with the Yaesu lithium ion battery pack and charging cradle. But the radio promptly stopped recognizing that battery was installed (refusing to power up), even though the battery was apparently fine per my voltmeter. AND the radio would only power up with the AA pack if I held the power button while inserting that battery pack -- a trick I had to learn from the interwebs, thanks to a guy who had exactly the same problem.

Not a fan of the Yaesu.

I'm not a huge fan of iCom.

AA batteries and a 12V+ source via supplied cigarette lighter adapter cures this. Any time I've HAD to have my handheld, the batteries have let me down (regardless of the brand or model). Right now, the little Yaesu is the only avionics in my airplane, and with it plugged in, it always works great!

Last edited:
Back