Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-18-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Charlie, I do the same on my 7 and fast is full speed with the slow being set by a ray allen trim pot. I tested for a few months until I liked the speed then hid, ahh, errr . . . . relocated it behind the panel
Exactly... My trim pot is located behind the panel after I made final settings. Slow is really slow for cruise. RV-12 guys that fly my plane like the ability to easily set pitch trim at cruise speeds without overshooting. Trim speed for slow flight in the pattern is quite fast. Works very nice and feels natural as the plane slows down. Again - no overshooting. A side benefit is the ability to re-trim quickly in event of a missed approach and go-around.

Another thought - I don't know if you would use two speeds for each of the three axis (I suspect you would). In that case, use a single toggle switch to operate a relay with three sets of contacts - one for each axis.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 522

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H

Last edited by Piper J3 : 12-18-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:29 PM

Default trim relays

I can see where a slow mode would really be helpful esp for pitch. Ill probably wait till I am flying to get some sort of idea where I would want to end up with the slow speed.

Charlie
Old 12-25-2019, 08:20 AM

Charlie -

Here's another option for automatically switching pitch trim servo speed... Use an airspeed switch that ties into the pitot system.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...tchbattery.php
EAA #499867

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Old 12-25-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Charlie -

Here's another option for automatically switching pitch trim servo speed... Use an airspeed switch that ties into the pitot system.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...tchbattery.php
Thanks Jim,

I had not seen one before that allowed for a airspeed component. Nice.

Charlie
Old 12-25-2019, 02:16 PM

Default intercooler shroud

I had a chance to build up a simple shroud for my intercooler. Here is a pic of it.

Here is how it looked in the pattern stage. It is 0.25" aluminum. I actually like the 0.025 aluminum sheet found in the aviation section at Lowes for pieces like this. I find it is easier to bend that 2024-T3. The next picture shows it on my DIY wooden sheet metal brake I made out of old hard wood maple doors and a hardware hinge. Works real good. I do find it helps to duct tape the piece in place. Keeps it from creeping while in the clamps. With metal this thin you can simply hold the metal or wooden brake by hand while it is being bent.

Here it is attached to the intercooler.

The only down side to this set up is it did not allow for a nice outlet that is plumbed to a negative pressure area. While this would be ideal, I am going to wait and see how well it works as is. I have seen very nice temp drops with the intercooler on the test stand with no shroud at all, so I think my IAT (inlet air temps) will be reduced at least as well as what I saw on the test stand (60*F-80*F) and probably much better, and if that happens this will be more than enough to get me where I want my IAT to be. Given that very small amount of boost I plan to use <7lbs This should do just find.

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : 12-25-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:42 AM

Charlie -

Another option for trim servo speed control... https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...ct=safety-trim
EAA #499867

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Old 01-01-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Charlie -

Another option for trim servo speed control... https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...ct=safety-trim
Good to know thanks.

Charlie
Old 01-17-2020, 11:29 PM

Default update

Update.

I have been fairly engrossed in working on the instrument panel, which is not directly tied to the Honda installation so I have not posted much.

I also had sent back the PSRU gearbox back to Viking Aircraft Engines at their request to install a new (improved) bearing, which they did at no expense to me (other than shipping to them).

I ran the engine to day for about 30 minutes checking airtemps, gearbox temps, coolant temps and pressure, voltage etx. All ran really well. I especially like the new larger (72") 3 bladed warp drive prop. I could not be happier with the set up at this point.

I will be spending at least another month on the panel and other more mundane things like brakes system, pitot systems etc.

So while I may not be posting much, you can be assured that I am marching full speed ahead in the back ground. While I hate to even try to pinpoint a "done" date (as many of those have come and gone) I do hope to get there before summer. We shall see.

As always, feel free to ask questions or add (friendly) comments.

P.S. I have some questions on wiring up the flightcom 403mc intercom and my radio which is an ICOM IC-A200. I wont post them on this thread but if anyone is knowledgeable about the wiring of these that I could run a few questions by you please PM me if you have time.

Charlie

Charlie