What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL-30 NAV/COM: 2 VORs?

Rosie

Well Known Member
I'm studying for the written and just read there are some approaches that require a second VOR.

I'm installing an SL-30 that has the capability to monitor the standby VOR radial.

Can the standby VOR be used as the second VOR receiver for this type of approach?

SL-30 vor

Rosie I am not familiar with the sl-30 but usually an approach with 2 vor's is used to designate an intersection. It would be possible to switch back and forth between your active and monitored vor but it would entail a bigger work load in a possibly stressful situation.
Al
Cody, Wy
RV6 Flying

SL-30 Question

Rosie: I am finishing up my instrument ticket at this time. I have the SL-30 installed in my -6A. You can use the "second" vor that is digital information on the SL-30 in any fashion you need. Normally it is used to desiginate an intersection or an Iniatal approach fix. I.A.F. You must still have a V.O.R head istalled to do any precision approach work,example ILS and the V.O.R must be checked for calibration every thirty days,both the digital and the VOR head.and logged. You do this as a self certification and enter it in your log book. The unit works great with one VOR head,no need for two seperate systems.Hope this information helps.The back up com is nice too.Good choice.If I can answer any of your questions give me a call@361-992-6099 Bill marcum Corpus Christi, Texas

Rosie said:
I'm studying for the written and just read there are some approaches that require a second VOR.

I'm installing an SL-30 that has the capability to monitor the standby VOR radial.

Can the standby VOR be used as the second VOR receiver for this type of approach?

Legally all you need is one VOR. If you choose to switch back and forth, that is perfectly acceptable providing you're capable of managing the approach. If you also have an IFR GPS, that will suffice for identification of the intersection that the second VOR is used for. Not uncommon on the checkride to need that second VOR (or GPS), so if you're going to use only one, practice, practice, practice. The same pretty much applies to real life situations also, to identify a specific fix. Some can be identified by NDB, second VOR, or DME, but usually the GPS will substitute for all!

Dave

Sl30

I have the SL30, when you select the second nav you get the bearing from the second VOR you have dialed in on the front of the SL30 panel, when flying an approach that uses a VOR radial to denote a fix, once you see the cross bearing required your there! It actually works very well.

GPS 196 usage for nearest VOR, NDB, etc.

Punching the NEAREST button on the GPS 196 presents a screen that lets you select nearest nav points. It gives information on distance and bearing, effectively replacing a VOR receiver and DME at a glance. It also works on NDB's, distance and bearing.

Of course airports and ARTCC communications outlets and frequencies are also tabbed on that NEAREST button.

I am just putting in my SL-30 this week on my RV-9A. I hope to be closing things out in another week or so with the forward top skin going on and then the windshield and fiberglass work.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
www.n2prise.org

WE also have the SL30 in our 6.

I find that once the second VOR is dialed in , it is atually EASIER than with two "old style" radios and indicators as the radial is digitally displayed for the second one and thus you know when you are at a particular fix or intersection defined by the second radial.

James
Columbia, SC
p.s. 49 states, all VFR ... even more amazing {:)

mikeljshields said:
I have the SL30, when you select the second nav you get the bearing from the second VOR you have dialed in on the front of the SL30 panel, when flying an approach that uses a VOR radial to denote a fix, once you see the cross bearing required your there! It actually works very well.

Stand By VOR Radial

Rosie, As many have mentioned you are looking for an intersection when you use the second VOR. If you verify that the stand by VOR radial readout is accurate you may use it to ID the intersection. You may verify it by setting up the standby and the active to the same frequency and see if they are within 4 degrees of each other or use one of the other means of verifying their accuracy. This needs to be done and logged within 30 days of an IFR flight. I hope this helps. George

Back