What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED strip lighting - how to bond to frame

rvator51

Well Known Member
For those Who have attached LED strip lighting to their cockpit, the self-adhesive on the back of the strips doesn?t seem very strong. have you used any type of glue to securely Bond the LED strips to Whatever they are attached to? If so do you mind sharing what glue you used?

Bond

I peeled off the adhesive backing, then used “Amazing Goop”. After3 years of Texas heat, still holding.

I cleaned the surface well and stuck it on. It shows no signs of trying to come off. The lights don't weigh hardly anything.

I was just about to ask a similar question. I also found the provided adhesive to let go in the first day. I cleaned very thoroughly as well. I peeled off the original stuff and used 3m VHB tape and it has held for 4 years. However, it is kind of thick. On the 10, I need something very thin, yet still strong. Curious to learn what others have used. I may try the goopr glue.

Larry

Loctite Ultra Gel Control Super Glue

Loctite Ultra Gel Control Super Glue. Found on Amazon. Used it under the glare shield and baggage ceiling on a previous build. Worked great.

Peel the backing off. Run a small bead of clear silicone down the center. Hold with clothespins while the silicone sets up.

Maybe different brands of strip have different adhesives, I dunno, but mine has been on the underside of the dash, as far aft as possible (up against the grommet edging, for 7+ years and hasn't shown any inclination to come off.

Now that I've said that, of course, it'll probably all fall off in one piece on the next flight :).

Back