What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vagabond Life with our RV-7A

Capt Sandy

Well Known Member
Our aluminum riveted conveyances finally together!
Life is Good.
oax.jpg

Background

We sold our house at the beginning of August and moved onto the 1991 Catalina 36 (sailboat) on Orcas Island. Sandy has her Coast Guard Captain's License (6-pack), hence her screen name "Capt Sandy".

We bought a 25' 2012 Eddie Bauer Airstream just before we left Oregon to meet the RV Fliers 2017 in Homestead Fl. DanH helped us buy our long wheelbase 2011 Chevy Express with the 6.6L Duramax diesel.

We left the RV-7A in Concord, CA at the end of our "October" flying trip that included the Smoky Mountains, Big South Fork River and Recreation Area, and Petit Jean Fly-in. We rented a car in Concord and drove to Hillsboro so 1) the RV-7A would not be stuck due to weather and 2)Sandy and I could have some time together towing our new house.

We FINALLY started our journey south in early December. Beautiful drive down the Oregon and Northern California coast. We parked the Airstream in Calistoga Ca for two weeks, enjoyed the wine country and visited my brother and family in Oakland for Christmas and New Years.

The picture Sandy posted is at Willow's airport. We are now hanging out near Redding/Redbluff CA doing some airplane maintenance. Expect to REALLY head south for the winter in a week or so. Sandy will be driving the van towing our house and I'll fly the plane. We will return to the Pacific Northwest in spring. We have loose plans to set up camp and use our feet to explore a mile radius, bicycles to explore a 5 mile radius, the van to explore a 50 mile radius and the RV-7A to explore a 500 mile radius. Likely "home base" includes southern CA, AZ and New Mexico. Let us know if you would like company!

I want to see that Airstream hooked to the back of the RV! Now THAT would be impressive! You might need to invest in an additional set of wings though!

Likely "home base" includes southern CA, AZ and New Mexico. Let us know if you would like company!

If you happen to venture a bit farther north, stop by here in Dayton NV.

We have hookups for the four wheeled RV, and can find hangar space for the three wheeled one.

Our RV-7A takes us to our summer home

Guess I'll figure out how to Photoshop this in :)
We hatched the plan about three years ago, while cleaning the decks. I said, "Hey Roy." He said "Hey Sandy." I put down the scrub brush. We were rushing to get the boat chores done so we could get home, do laundry, go grocery shopping, and all those things that needed to be done so we could go to work the next day. It seemed like craziness. What I really wanted to do was go flying. "How about if we go travel around the country in the Airplane you built?"
Roy set down his scrub brush. "Sounds like a great idea," he said. "How do you think that would work?"
And here we are... This is the summer house:
(And having trouble with loading photo to Halie. It insists on showing photo rotated. Would appreciate suggestions on how to fix this.)
oal.jpg

Back