What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PnP in RV-8

Backk seat baggage.

If you strap anything in the back seat, take the stick out. Do not depend on the seat belts to hold something in place. It will shift and jam the stick.
Don't ask how I know this.

only a small crate will fit in the back of an RV-8. If you want to transport a medium or large dog, you may be better off coming up with a solution that actually turns the back into a crate.

I take out the rear stick and remove the rear seat back. I can get a 25 lb crate half in baggage area and half on rear seat. I do use the seat belt and shoulder harness to secure the crate and it works well. I have a Vans tool box attached with bolts to the rear baggage floor and I could get a slightly larger crate in if I removed the tool box. 2017 I flew 9 dogs, a mother cat and 6 kittens. Largest was a 30 lb pitbull. Hope to do more this year.

PnP transport

I use a collapsible, soft-sided medium crate. I remove the stick, seat cushion, and seat back. The crate sticks about 12" into the baggage area. The key is that the crate opens on the top rather than the front and I lower the animal in, rather than try to load a hard crate. My limit is 45#, primarily for the dog's comfort. This has worked well for me in over 100 transports. I'm not sure how well tethering a dog in a tandem aircraft would work. (I once had a dog manage to open the zipper. Luckily, she only wanted to look around. Gave me a start when she nudged my neck with her cold nose.) You'll no doubt find animal rescue one of the most satisfying uses for you plane.

Good luck!

I use a collapsible, soft-sided medium crate. I remove the stick, seat cushion, and seat back.

I should investigate the largest soft crate I can find that will fit.

Could you share the dimensions and brand of the unit you use?

PnP transport

The brand name of mine is Nature's Miracle. It's 21"w x 23"h x30"l. I erect it in place; it requires a little slithering. I modified mine slightly, moving the long side braces in 1/2", but it works unaltered.

From the tag: naturemakesitwork.com. 877-880-8855. I got it at PetSmart, but don't remember the cost.

I've done a medium sized dog in the back of my RV4 which would be similar. I removed the back seat and stick which made the whole back area a "crate". Plastic down for accidents, then pillows and blankets on the floor, and the dog seemed to like having sun or shade depending on where he lay.

https://imgur.com/iQVap3D

Crate for containment?

I am thinking of flying some PNP missions in either my Cessna Cardinal ( remove the back seat for big dogs) or my RV6. Does everyone use a crate to contain the dog? What about big dogs that wont fit in a crate that can be placed in the airplane?
Bruce

Crateless in RV-6

Getting a crate into the RV-6 is difficult unless it's quite small. A 50 lb dog is very doable uncrated. Heavy plastic followed by a pad and some towels protect the airplane and provide comfort for the dog. A tiedown point on centerline at the front of the baggage bin allows the dog to be tethered so that it can stand of lie down, but not climb forward. A Supertracks canopy track extension is coming to make it easier to load the baggage bin.

Cheers, David

I am thinking of flying some PNP missions in either my Cessna Cardinal ( remove the back seat for big dogs) or my RV6. Does everyone use a crate to contain the dog? What about big dogs that wont fit in a crate that can be placed in the airplane?
Bruce

I've flown a few dogs in my 7 and none have been crated. I looked around for a soft sided crate but they don't seem to be made to fit an RV without giving up some useable space. And they seem to be unable to hold a curious dog in place, from the reviews I've read. Also, the dogs are mostly crated when they get to you, whether you are the 1st leg or the last. I always specify I can't use a crate for size reasons.

If I fly the flight alone, I take out the passenger seat and put 2 or 3 harbor freight moving blankets down and create a little bit of a cradle with them. They are ALWAYS on sale for $5.99 and once folded to fit the plane space, will contain any potential "issues" you may have. I have not had an issue yet... If a friend wants to come with me I put the blankets in the baggage area. Most dogs have been energetic and curious once loaded but all have slept once we started taxiing and the canopy was closed. I tether to the support behind the seat and keep it long enough for the dog to lay down, but short enough to keep them from reaching the controls. You can add some shade in the Summer.

Like someone else said, it's a great thing if you like helping animals. I began just taking trips that had 15 pound sized dogs. My last trip was a VERY energetic Springer Spaniel of about 25 pounds. I realized then I could probably handle a 40 pound dog. Incidentally, the tether is more to keep the do in the plane during open-canopy ops prior to takeoff. Every dog I have transported has been an attention hound! Just some ideas. Give it a try.

Pnp in RV-8

Thanks for all of the great info! One last question - what about the noise level in the cockpit? I am always shocked at just how loud it is if I even lift one of the ear cups on my Bose headset to adjust sunglasses. Does the noise level not bother dogs and cats? Thanks again for info!

Last edited:
Back