What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hug the ones you love

SarahC

In a bit of a sad mood today. Part of the joy of building a plane is joining the builders community and meeting new people. But it means loosing them too. Sadly we had a double fatality at noon on New Years Day when a RV7 crashed. Pilot was a great guy, saved lives in his day job. His 7 was beautifully built. So everyone take care this year, and all you old-uns keep kicking around as long as you can so us young-uns can keep pestering you. Here's to the memory of those gone to the great blue skies in the past year.

Since media have now released names and next of kin now notified.
The pilot was Dean Voelkerling, a member of VAF, user name Vonsmallhousen. He was flying ZK-DVS, a beautifully built and finished RV7.
Dean was a pilot and paramedic for the NZ Northland Rescue helicopter, helped save many lives in his time with them.
Thoughts and prayers to the familys.

terrible news

My heartfelt condolences to Dean's and his passenger's family and friends.

This is very sad news. Dean had many strings to his bow and was the catalyst for me building my RV9A.

I flew with Dean in the Solomon Islands and quickly learned of his skill and judgment as an IFR amd NVG rated EMS helicopter pilot. He was also a qualified paramedic and an experienced helicopter winch operator and crewman.

The loss to his family and to the New Zealand EMS community is enormous. His warmth, friendship and professionalism will be missed by many as will the tears that will be shed.

Rest in peace Dean.

Saddened to hear . . .

Very sad to hear this news. My son visited NZ last year and Dean was so kind to meet with him and give him an RV7 ride around the tip of the north island. He was a gracious international ambassador to take time and fly with an complete stranger.

Condolences for his family, many, many friends, and co-workers.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11968349

Bill Lane

Robert Lane

Last edited:
The prayer light is switched on bright/flash here in Texas. Prayers for the family.

Very sad news

I have spoken with and knew Dean as a customer of SteinAir for several years. This is very sad news. I extend my condolences to his family, he will be missed.

The lack of a wing was the first thing I noted also... That and there's no damage to the prop.

I hope the civil aviation authority (TAIC) investigates this...

Sad business. :(

My deepest sympathy to Deans's family and friends. I didn't know Dean but had read his wife's article in the N.Z sports Flying Magazine in Autumn 2017. A lot of what she wrote, I could relate to in the building phase of an RV aircraft. She wrote a great article.
Such an experienced pilot and vital part of the Northland community, it makes all aviators and builders of aircraft very sad.
I hope in time the investigators can piece together what has so seriously gone wrong.

Heart Wrenching

Saddened to hear about this event.

I'm sitting here trying to imagine what on earth could cause a wing to separate short of a mid-air. Bend, twist maybe, but separate?

A C130 crew suffered a wing seperation during a fire suppresion mission. The cause of the failure was due to thousands of sudden positive and negative G force experienced during the drops. Some Beech 58 series also had maximum time in service limitations set because they were used in fire suppression missions.
Applicability:
Requirement:
Model 58P and 58TC aircraft, with the following serial numbers: TJ-177, TJ-178, TJ-180, TJ-211, TJ-213, TJ-247, TJ-284, TJ-285, TJ-289, TJ-290, TJ-314, TJ-322, TJ-367, TJ-368, TJ-370, TJ-371, TJ-425, TJ-426, TJ-433, TJ-442 and TK-33, that are certified in any category. These aircraft were used as lead aircraft by the United States Forest Service for fire fighting missions.

This makes me so sad... I just found out about it today. I took Dean to lunch in Whangerei when I was in New Zealand in February 2016, and saw him regularly at trade shows in the USA. He was a great guy, and one of our customers for our dual mode Visible/IR lights that they were using on the S-76 helicopters. This video of his service brought tears to my eyes:
www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503450&objectid=11972099

Back