What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adjusting the control mount rod ends

N546RV

Well Known Member
OK, I'm continuing to work with the control system in the -8. As of this evening, I've set up the elevator stops, but there's one thing that's still bothering me from a few days ago. When I first hung the control column in the fuselage, I essentially took a wild guess at how the rod ends on the forward and aft control mounts should be adjusted, mostly just raising the column until the F-840 tube didn't scrape on the center of the two bulkhead cutouts.

Before I call the elevator work done, though, I'd like to actually get those adjusted to where they ought to be. But I can't seem to find any sort of instructions or specs as to how to adjust those. Am I missing this information somewhere, or is this just a case of "adjust them as needed to stuff moves freely?" In that case, I imagine I won't get a final adjustment until I have the wings on and the ailerons rigged...

Philip,

It?s in the drawing for the control column. I think it?s 3/4? and 7/8? but I don?t remember which is which. I?m out of town and don?t have my plans to reference. I?ll be home on Wednesday if nobody else answers.

Philip,

It?s in the drawing for the control column. I think it?s 3/4? and 7/8? but I don?t remember which is which. I?m out of town and don?t have my plans to reference. I?ll be home on Wednesday if nobody else answers.

Well, there it is, hiding right in plain sight. Sections F-F and G-G on DWG 78. 1" down on the forward mount, 7/8" down on the rear.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Back